RAF Dassualt Mirage 111

Started by bacofoil, January 31, 2009, 05:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bacofoil

"What if" in 1957 the "Ministry" cancelled the P1/Lightning along with all the other aircraft programs at that time.
By the early 60s its clear that the RAFs only fighter the Hunter needs to be replaced in that role and  a radar equiped aircraft is needed.The selection goes to Dassualt and the excellent Mirage 111,which enters service in 1967.
RAF aircraft are  fitted with the Rolls Royce 67 engine,2 Aden cannon and british avionics.
One of the first squadrons to re-equipe with the Mirage is 43.
Each squadron has 18 Mirage F.1 fighters and 2 Mirage T.2 conversion trainers which may have looked like my model here.?
Any and all comments welcome.

Mossie

Very pretty!  Lovely clean build bacofoil!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Holy Poo that is seriously, seriously good.

Come on, details, kit ?, scale ?, modifiactions ?, paint & decals used ? - Enquiring minds need to know; especially mine as I still have an Esci 1:48 IIIE hovering near the workbench.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

sotoolslinger

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on January 31, 2009, 06:52:50 AM
Holy Poo that is seriously, seriously good.

Come on, details, kit ?, scale ?, modifiactions ?, paint & decals used ? - Enquiring minds need to know; especially mine as I still have an Esci 1:48 IIIE hovering near the workbench.

Ian
Must agree is that a Mirage III with an Alpha jet nose :o :huh: :blink:
Effin Beauty
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Mike Wren

bacofoil

Thanks for comments guys.
As for the kit,it is the old Heller 1/48 Mirage 111 C or B built petty much as is.Bought it several years ago at Biggin Show for £5 and been stored since then.I got the idea that it might look good in RAF trim from dvd with Fairey Delta 2!!!! Strange how my mind works!!!Its a bugger of a kit to get together with the nose section being seperate from the rest and the upper wing part not wanting to line up,lots of shime(and swearing) and super glue helped.
Decals are from an Extra decal set.
I think mybe an RAF F-104 Starfighter could be next(no wing problems there!) so going to Modelkraft tommorow and see what I can find!!
Thanks again.

cthulhu77

I like shiny pretty things...this one, I love !

tanktastic43

a pretty french bird wearing english garb. very nice indeed.  :thumbsup:

Dork the kit slayer

Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

John Howling Mouse

An all-round beauty!  Love the black canopy outlines: decal stripes or masked and painted?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Green Dragon

Excellent build Bacofoil, really nice finish. :thumbsup:

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Tophe

Beautiful model :thumbsup:
Just a question: why do you call it 111? (for French people, it is 3, written III in latin writing), a mix Mirage III+F-111 would be funny, but was this your subject?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Nick

Wonderful looking build, very tempted to try a metal finish.

I agree with Tophe here, it should be III and not 111. This mixing up of Roman numerals does irritate me a bit.... :smiley:

GTX

Simply stunning - any chance of some more pics, especially underneath.

:bow:

BTW, I take it the "Rolls Royce 67 engine" the RR Avon RB.146 Mk.67 as trialled by Australia?  If so, I can imagine the RAAF also continuing with this as their operational variant and potentially sharing production with the RAF.  Would the SEPR rocket engine pack also be used?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

noxioux

That's mind-blowingly good.  Your idea and execution of the idea are simply first-rate! :wub: :wub: :wub: