Out to pasture

Started by Eddie M., January 31, 2009, 06:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie M.

How many of you have come to this cross road in your years of modeling. I've got a small area the office to display my builds and it was getting very cramped.  I've decided to box up a fair amount of them for two purposes. To make room for future work (motivation to fill the gaps ;)) and to clear the area of some of the old influences. Who would have guessed doing a good dusting of the shelves would have led to this. Anyone else faced this or am I headed down the road to cutting my left ear off. :lol:
Look behind you!

The Rat

Haven't run into that yet, but once the builds start piling up...

I'll build more shelf space! When I were a lad I used to hang them from the ceiling, but the basement here is a bit low for that and the wife would probably object to me hanging them in the bedroom. Sheesh, women!

I'm not 'out to pasture' myself yet, but I'm worried that I'll wind up at the glue factory without going through the stud farm.  :blink:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

sotoolslinger

Hey if your going to box up old builds. There is just I simple step to putting my address on there and sending them off. ;D Just kidding I live in a one bedroom apt. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: so I have the same problem .
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Gary

A few years back I went through a big upheaval with the divorce and the K4k business. I ended up taking all my finished kits and gave them to one of my LHS and asked the owner to pass them out to kids thinking about coming over to the dark (plastic) side. A finished kit being the sort of 'Hey I can do this too!" sort of thing. Another buddy simply has no use for his kits. He is a master builder and rarely builds without the purpose being to give the kit to someone who might like it. Otherwise, he doesn't build. He does have some of his kits from back in his teenage years just to remind him of where he started in the hobby and to keep the fun part alive.

I have only just gotten back into building again. A few finished, but nothing I am passionate about yet. All group build things so far. I feel kind of meh... about them.
Getting back into modeling

B777LR

Over here, I'm constantly boxing up models, and placing them in the attic.

Jeffry Fontaine

Another option would be to consider offering the models up for display in the local library or a hobby shop "On Loan" as it were for a specified period of time.  This frees up space in your shelf for other models and allows you to start showing off your work to other people in a controlled environment such as the library.  The hobby shop option would work only if the proprietor has a display case that is not exposing your work to sunshine and prying hands.  After establishing yourself as a local "artist" you could then go about exchanging the models on display over a scheduled period of time such as every three months to get additional exposure to the models in your collection and to the hobby as well.  This kind of exposure to the hobby especially if it were in the library would be ideal for people that may need some inspiration to build out of the box but not follow the instructions.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

PR19_Kit

Jeffry's idea has always worked well for me. Over the years I've developed links with my local model shop (= 'Hobby store' in American :)) and offered a few built models for display. Usually they are quite happy so long as they have the same kits available to sell, but that tends to rule out or Whiffs of course.

When my nearest shop, now sadly closed, was running well, its owner was fascinated by my spoof models and pleaded with me to have the PR19 in the window. I warned him that he'd have lots of frustated customers who'd not be able to build it, but he sold out of Matchbox Meteor NF11-14s in a week! No accounting for logic, is there? :)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

lancer

Considering I'm still living out of mum and dad's dining room, ALL my builds get boxed up and shoved in the loft when they're built. I am planning on putting up some shelves shortly, so I hope to have a little bit of space to display at least my most recent stuff befor it gets boxed up.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

John Howling Mouse

See?  Just one more benefit from not being a very prolific modeler: I never have to worry about lack of model display space simply 'cause I never get many of them finished!

Now, it's time for Brian da Basher to show everyone how he manages in this area....
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

You wouldn't believe it if you saw it. :o :blink: It is literally a ''CLOUD" of models. Frikken Awesome :wub: :wub: :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

frank2056

I'm somewhat limited by the Ikea display cases I have - the shelves are 14" x 14" in size, so no kits that are longer than 14" (or about 19" diagonally). So one option is to go to a smaller scale. So from 1/32 aircraft to 1/48 to 1/72 to 1/144 to 1/288 to 1/350 to 1/700. You can fit a squadron of 1/700 C-5As on a shelf!

Ron, where do you put your built-ups?

philp

Most of mine hang out at one of the local Hobby shops, manager is a club member.  I also have done a few for Hill Aerospace Museum where they use them to plan where to move the real things.

Since my son moved back in, I don't have a place at home to display them anymore so what is still home is in a box or crammed among the rest of the stuff in the bench.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Daryl J.

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 31, 2009, 02:21:26 PM
Jeffry's idea has always worked well for me. Over the years I've developed links with my local model shop (= 'Hobby store' in American :))
In my personal experience Hobby shop is the common term in the US and Lotus Land.

Jon

Shasper

Got a few boxes of kits in the top of my closet, waiting for the day when I'll have a house with an office & clear airspace . . .

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.