1:48 Alpha Jet - PAINT !!

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, February 01, 2009, 12:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Now now....let the model work to your advantage....say it was built by the same people who used to build the Morris Marina ;D ;D
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Mike Wren

BlackOps

C'mon Ian, according to toolslinger, your plastic to putty ratio should be at least 50/50  ;D

That was a bit extreme though wasn't it.  :banghead: Looks like your making a good go of it though.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Ed S

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

John Howling Mouse

Nice, perfectionist save, Ian.  I would have just used a strip of aluminum tape to cover the gaps and called it a "panel line" !! 
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

philp

What are you guys talking about.  It looks just like a Soviet designed aircraft.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Ian the Kiwi Herder

No pics, cos I'm at work for the next couple of days, you're going to have to trust me  :blink:.

Made some progress over the last couple of weeks. PSR round 2 & 3 now complete: Round 2 was finishing the underside, round 3 was the wings, which surprisingly didn't put-up too much of a fight. What really pi**ed me off was what happened when I went back to the cockpit.

Because the seats are so poor and I really didn't want to throw any more money at this project, I decided very early on to drop a couple of pilots in. Not wanting to blow my own trumpet too loudly, but in the past I have been quite good at painting pilot figures, so this did not hold any 'fear' for me - I have loads in the spares box too, so choice was not an issue.

I painted up two likely looking figure having first checked to see that they would fit into the cockpit, then painted the seats (such as they are) and glued one to t'other then glued both into the cockpit. It was at this point, Mr. Common Sense left me for an extended mini-break, because I didn't check the fit of the (one piece) canopy over the cockpit, and it wasn't until Dork announced that he was intending to descend upon Schloss Jackson that I bothered to check.....

....disaster (sort of)  :banghead:

As was, the back-seater's head just peeped above the sill of the canopy and the pilot was all but invisible. Not to hard to fix, normally, except this time I'd glued the pair in with CA  :banghead: :banghead: - it's all fixed now but not without a lot of swearing and frightening Mrs. Hunter-Gatherer and the kids ("Daddy's shouting and noisy" - Toddler-Gatherer).

Next 'issue' the nose-cap. Heller correctly give you two choices, a pointy one with a pitot tube for the German version and a rounded one for the French (and export) versions. The problem is, it's not rounded enough. Think bottle-nosed dolphin and that would be correct, this one looks more like a pike ! - Now I know this is a 'What If' and I'm not losing sight of that, but for G*d's sake, surely something so obvious as the nose-cap profile is more difficult to get wrong, than get right !

Aghhhh  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

More soon - probably with pics !

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on February 28, 2009, 12:43:07 AM
Now I know this is a 'What If' and I'm not losing sight of that, but for G*d's sake, surely something so obvious as the nose-cap profile is more difficult to get wrong, than get right !

Never forget this IS Heller you're dealing with here..........  <_<
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Ian the Kiwi Herder

It lives.....

It lives....  :wacko:

See I told you I wasn't mad   :blink: - OK Seriously, it is never going to win any awards, but I WILL finish it to as good a standard as I can. Then, I'm going to put it in a box and never talk of it again, nor utter its' name !

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Mossie

Keep at it mate, you've made a good job of it so far considering how much putty it's eaten! :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

nev

There, that wasn't that painful was it? :P

Loving the multicoloured pilots
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

John Howling Mouse

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Radish

For a kit that fits WORSE, try the Revell/Matchbox He 70.
It'll be nice when finished, but the fuselage is 50% filler!!!! :banghead:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

B777LR

Quote from: Radish on March 04, 2009, 10:42:59 AM
For a kit that fits WORSE, try the Revell/Matchbox He 70.
It'll be nice when finished, but the fuselage is 50% filler!!!! :banghead:

Amen to that, mine is 50% filler too...