Beagle B.206 Turbo Terrier II -- Finished

Started by kitnut617, February 02, 2009, 08:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed S

I like this idea.  The gun pod fit right on there.  Doesn't look too big or out of place.  Have fun fitting the new engines.  There looks to be some major PSR ahead.

:thumbsup:

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

kitnut617

Hey thanks everyone -- the Astazous come from the 1/72 M&E Models Jetstream T1/T2 conversion and the props are the Aeroclub ones for the Astazous, there's two sets you can get, P119 which is just two props and another which is one prop and a nacelle front (I've got one of those too but can't find it at the moment).

The Astazou prop diameter is a bit big, about 2 scale feet bigger than the Basset prop but because it will stick out further I'll only have to trim the blades down about 6 scale inches, then I'll just say the engines were de-rated to suit.

Anyway did some work on the interior, I'm deleting the middle row of seats, adding an avionics pack and an ammo bin with a feed belt going down through the floor.  The AlphaJet gun pod appears to have the gun off to port in the pod so I'm going to offset the pod to port a bit as well, that then puts the gun barrel just about inline with the pilot's eyes and also allows the belt feed in on the correct side (which you won't see but what the heck)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Green Dragon

Thanks for the info Kitnut, love the ammo feed in the cabin!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Weaver

Quote from: Green Dragon on February 02, 2009, 03:55:35 PM
Think the Wild Geese plane was a Cessna 310, haven't seen it in a few years though. Wish there were more GA aircraft kits available. Looking forward to seeing this one Kitnut, that Alphajet gun pod looks great. Where did you get the Astazous from?

Paul Harrison

Hannants have got a load of Gremlin resin models of GA aircraft in. No idea if they're any good or not, but here's the link:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?MANUFACTURER=Gremlin&NUMPERPAGE=25&order_asc=code

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

anthonyp

Ah, gorram it!!  You stole one of my ideas!   :banghead:

I just came across this kit a couple weeks ago and decided to build a COIN aircraft out of it myself, but mine's going in a... different direction  ;D

Looking forward to seeing yours done!
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Wow, this one is looking seriously serious !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

kitnut617

Thanks again guys, and sorry about nicking your idea Anthony, but as the saying goes --- great minds think alike ---- right ?

chrisonord

BUGGER!!!
M&E models went out of business 6 years ago, so you had better put those engines under lock and key KITNUT  :wacko:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Green Dragon

Quote from: Weaver on February 02, 2009, 06:35:17 PM
Quote from: Green Dragon on February 02, 2009, 03:55:35 PM
Think the Wild Geese plane was a Cessna 310, haven't seen it in a few years though. Wish there were more GA aircraft kits available. Looking forward to seeing this one Kitnut, that Alphajet gun pod looks great. Where did you get the Astazous from?

Paul Harrison

Hannants have got a load of Gremlin resin models of GA aircraft in. No idea if they're any good or not, but here's the link:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?MANUFACTURER=Gremlin&NUMPERPAGE=25&order_asc=code

Thanks for the info Weaver, I quite fancy that PA-42 Cheyenne 400LS but I don't have a credit card (far too tempting to blow my budget!) and Hannants stopped taking cheques on 1st October last year (had a £250 order almost ready but some of the kits I wanted were late arriving in the UK so I bought a load of DVD's, PC games and a new camera instead). First time I haven't done Birthday and Christmas orders last year!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

kitnut617

Some progress, I've decided to concentrate on one wing and then do the other after all the problems are sorted.  Here's a comparison of the different engine arrangements, I'm not sure of what the difference is in the engine weights, I thinking it might have to have the new engine further back but then that would compromise the wheel bay somewhat, I'm already going to put some smaller diameter main wheels on.

sotoolslinger

EXCELLENT :thumbsup:Love the internal mods and the engines :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

apophenia

kitnut,

Looking good!  :thumbsup: Your forward positioning of the Astazou is probably perfect.

Dry weight for the B.206's original IO-550 is 442 lb (200 kg). The Astazou II's dry weight is only 271 lb (123 kg). I'm guessing that the Astazou props probably balance that out a bit.

Besides, moving the turboprops forward gives the propeller discs a little more elbow room  ;D

kitnut617

thanks for that apophenia, but I've moved it back about 5mm already. The reason is that I had to trim the blades a bit more than what I thought I would have to, no ground clearance.  What with my plan to use smaller diameter wheels the blade tips would touch the ground so what with shortening the blades some more allowed me to move the engine back a bit.  It looks a bit better but the prop is still in front of where the original prop would be.  I think the added weight of the prop and speed reduction gearbox would move the weight cg forward quite bit.  I've fitted a wing tip tank too, it doesn't look too bad I think.

apophenia

Looking good kitnut!

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 05, 2009, 07:04:29 PM
... I've moved it back about 5mm already...

So ... you needed a bunch of heavy batteries and some plate armour in the nose. End result, perfect balance!