Mossie FIGHTER

Started by John Howling Mouse, February 07, 2009, 01:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Okay, so I was just looking for parts needed for one of my current in-progress builds and came across an otherwise unmarked Airfix Mosquito box.  I open it up and found an old Scale-O-Rama/Phoenix Group Build model in progress which I had forgotten all about.  I had put a great deal of time and effort into this concept so I'm not understanding how I could have so easily forgotten about it.

The build thread itself is actually from a prior incarnation of the What If site and can't be recovered so I'm starting that play-by-play description from scratch with reloads of my old photos, too.

All I remember is that there were several hurdles back then that I thought I could not overcome but that was then and this is "Whiffing Today."  Stay tuned...

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

JayBee

Ehm! Sorry but what?

JayBee
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Eddie M.

I hope this is what I think it is......;D
Look behind you!

John Howling Mouse

About two or three years ago, I was scavenging parts for one kitbash or another and, for some reason, looked at a 1:72 Airfix Mosquito and wondered what it would look like as a small 1:48 fighter instead.  I quickly threw some parts next to each other and snapped a few pics:

Intrigued, I wondered if I could move the cockpit position aft and enlarge it:

I hacked off the Mosquito's wing engine mounts and chopped up the wings of another 1:72 Matchbox Mosquito for tailplanes:

John Howling Mouse

I drew a possible tailfin on cardstock and got a Monogram Mustang canopy out.  I taped the rough-cut parts together into a crude mock-up just to see if it would be worth pursuing....and I got that happy little rush kitbashers always do when they've put something together that never existed in the real world before:

It didn't matter to me if it was plausible or the right size or anything like that.  I just wanted to glue it all together and FLY it round the house like I did when I was eight years old and, for me, that's what Whiffing is all about.   :thumbsup:

John Howling Mouse

Then Reality (that Mother-In-Law of Whiffery) kicked in and I knew I had my work cut out for me.  Mostly it was a matter of modifying those bomber wings with the big ugly engine nacelle mounts to work as nimble fighter wings and they had to be completely repositioned, no less!

I drilled some pilot holes then used a nibbler to create wheel well apertures on the lower wings:

I decided to hack out anything to do with the engine nacelle mounts and replace the leading edge with some sort of radiator airscoops.  It was a lot of work.

Primered up, the wings didn't look too bad:

And, today, I scribed some panel lines (since the Mossie had wooden wings, I don't think Airfix erred by not showing any panel lines).

John Howling Mouse

Figured a modified Mustang office would do.  Nothing fancy, just something painted up real quick and cut to fill the space.

John Howling Mouse

I filled the "normal" wingroot cavity with styrene and figured I'd use dual wingspars to hold the re-positioned wings in place so I cut some matching slots in both the lower fuselage and the wing chords. 

It was then time to scratchbuild a new tailfin to do justice to that cardboard test-piece.  I started by shaping two halves of .030" styrene: a lot of work to get the airfoil shape!

But, when you engrave some "Matchbox-quality" panel-lines, make a hundred rivets and slap the two halves together, it's magic:

Hey, the fin FITS!

Eddie M.

The drought is over!  I love seeing a JHM build on the board! ;D
Look behind you!

BlackOps

YAY!  :wub: I'd forgotten this one too! That does it, your not aloud to move anymore!

I too miss Barry's work.  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Mossie

Not a pic of somebody wrestling me to the ground then!!!  Looks good Baz, I couldn't get past the idea it'd look like a DH Hornet, which it doesn't.  Kind of looks like P-80 to me, which means I might fight it (not keen on the Shooting Star)!  Don't get me wrong, it's looks like a great build.

Just a suggestion, maybe go for a single rather then a twin, that way you'll loose any likeness to the Mosquito/Hornet.  Oh, & it looks like it'd fly to this eight year old!  ;D ;D ;D
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

Hey, that tailfin is Grrrrrrrrrreat !

:thumbsup:

Nice ressurection, Baz !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

jeff3385

Pop some corn and uncap a cold one boys... This is shaping up to be a real Baz bash.  :cheers:
Jeff Briner
Past President
IPMS/USA

Zeke

Cripes!...that's a whole stack of work there...but it's looking amazing!...So what kind of colour scheme do you have in mind?
It's a big, wide world out there...so if it's all the same to you I'll just stay indoors!

tanktastic43

Great tutorial going on here.
From the mock up, the wing shape reminds me a lot of a ww2 Yak fighter.
Looking forward to see this progress.
Top job.  :thumbsup: