Mossie FIGHTER

Started by John Howling Mouse, February 07, 2009, 01:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

And this WAS a Mosquito, incredible... :bow:
Just... will you have a "normal" Mosquito to put close to it, for visitors to appreciate the amount of work done (and remaining similarity)?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Brian da Basher

Outstanding, Mr Howling Mouse! I knew you'd be able to pull it off! I love the racy look that P-51 canopy gives this bird!
:wub: :wub:
Brian da Basher

sequoiaranger

That's really a top-notch model you have there, JHM! The primer finish looks so smooth!

I hope you will accept this in the spirit intended--to me the whole purpose of the primer coat, after repeated PSR's that sometimes drives even patient modelers to distraction, is to expose areas that need just a touch more work. I don't think I have EVER had a model that went directly from primer coat to the next paint coat. There was always some un-anticipated spot that needed some extra work, and though at the time I REALLY wondered if it would be worth the extra hassle to fix, I have NEVER regretted the extra work once the model is finished.

You have set a high standard for yourself in this model and the putty work has paid off. The canopy looks great! I would just implore you to spend an extra ten minutes to sand the "bags under the eyes" ridge under the canopy (If I am reading the shadows right) to flatten out the fuselage there. You certainly can be "forgiven" if you don't, but smooth lines there will show off the complicated canopy work to best effect.

Then the real fun of decorating can begin.

Cheers!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Tophe on April 03, 2009, 11:50:36 PM
And this WAS a Mosquito, incredible... :bow:
Just... will you have a "normal" Mosquito to put close to it, for visitors to appreciate the amount of work done (and remaining similarity)?

Hmmmm...that's kind of a smart idea.  It would have to be a 1:48 Mosquito but it would show the similarities....hmmm
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: sequoiaranger on April 04, 2009, 08:33:40 AM
That's really a top-notch model you have there, JHM! The primer finish looks so smooth!

I hope you will accept this in the spirit intended--to me the whole purpose of the primer coat, after repeated PSR's that sometimes drives even patient modelers to distraction, is to expose areas that need just a touch more work. I don't think I have EVER had a model that went directly from primer coat to the next paint coat. There was always some un-anticipated spot that needed some extra work, and though at the time I REALLY wondered if it would be worth the extra hassle to fix, I have NEVER regretted the extra work once the model is finished.

You have set a high standard for yourself in this model and the putty work has paid off. The canopy looks great! I would just implore you to spend an extra ten minutes to sand the "bags under the eyes" ridge under the canopy (If I am reading the shadows right) to flatten out the fuselage there. You certainly can be "forgiven" if you don't, but smooth lines there will show off the complicated canopy work to best effect.

Then the real fun of decorating can begin.

Cheers!

Heh, heh, I know.  That's exactly what I should do.  That's what separates the "pretty good" from the "WOW" models.  And the telltale ridges and other flaws will always bother me later when it's finished and up on the shelf (this has happened before) but...I'm...too...darned...LAZY to bother with it!    First coats of white have already been applied.   :cheers:

Captain Canada

Baz, you're an insane genius !

:ph34r: :dalek:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

Nope, no good.  Now that it's in white primer, those blending flaws stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.  And, with the paint-scheme I envision, the bumps are going to show up even more.

So, it's up to PS-14 ("putty stage fourteen").  To avoid too much contrast, I considered using Squadron's White putty but that stuff has hideous grain so I'm using Revell's light grey "Plasto" Putty for the first time, instead.  Which is probably not too smart on my part, anyhow, as I don't even know what it's like to work with or if it's even compatible with the Bondo putty underneath:   :banghead:

sotoolslinger

Been there ,done that ,have the scars on my forehead to prove it :banghead:
You'll pull her off BAZ :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Mossie

Baz, could you use Squadron Putty, but overcoat it with Future before you put paint on over the top?  Might help negate the grainy texture?  :unsure:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

sequoiaranger

Or, as I do, lightly brush on Liquid cement over the puttywork--it tends to melt the little "crystals" on the surface and blend them in enough so that a few layers of paint takes care of all the minute blemishes.

I also often "thin" Squadron putty by putting a few drops of lacquer thinner in a paint jar top with a "drop" of putty and swirling the stuff around until its consistency is almost like white-glue. You can spread it very thin and fill in small imperfections without a big glop to re-sand (it'll be a small glop).

You have come so far, so well. I just KNOW this is going to come out OK!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Brian da Basher

Mr Howling Mouse, this project would be a contender for the Perseverance Whiffie (if we had one). I have no doubt you will overcome any challenges and finish up with something that just knocks our socks off!
:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

P.S. Didn't someone say once that PSR "builds character"? ;)

John Howling Mouse

Well, I sanded down the Revell Plasto Putty.  It's, um, weird.  A bit grainy, I found it nearly turned into an elastomer sort of thing when wet-sanded.  Almost like the mastic you use around a sink drain.  It also coated my sanding sticks until they ended up with some sort of ceramic finish.

And so much for the idea of using a light-colored putty in the first place.  By the time I sanded down enough, all sorts of prior colors were showing through.  Looks like something from a Latvian autobody shop now.  Since these pics were taken, I'm up to Coat Number 7 for white paint to re-cover the sanded finish.

And, IMHO, the only appropriate place for Revell's Plasto Putty:

sotoolslinger

I hate learning the hard way  :banghead:
Looks cool though ;D
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

jcf

Baz,
I highly recommend tracking down the Spies-Hecker Permacron Fine Putty 7715,
you'll need to go to an automotive paint supply.

Fairly pricey, but it comes a decent sized tube and its great stuff.

Jon

Mossie

Sorry to hear about the putty problems Baz, these things are sent to try us!  Looking at the way different colours are revealed underneath, it's looking very much like a winter distemper, maybe inspiration for a scheme?  Similar to how Ron's paint problems actually provided a soloution, maybe this can do the same???
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.