Mossie FIGHTER

Started by John Howling Mouse, February 07, 2009, 01:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Mossie on March 09, 2009, 06:00:40 AM
Nice going so far Baz!  I can't decide if it's got anhedral, dihedral, or neither on the tail.  I think the forward swept trailing edged kind of tricks the eye.

Either that or I should get myself another :drink:!

Yes, from a lot of views, the angled trailing edge on wings and tailplanes really does confuse the eye, mine included.  All surfaces have a bit of dihedral, btw.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

Second time I've used Aves Super Apoxie Sculpt (a form of fine grain epoxy putty).  Just like the first time (on my P-47 SuperBolts), I figured "There's no way I'll be able to get a decent outcome from this mess" and yet, once again, the Apoxie sands down to a glass-like finish:

Daryl J.

Aves is great stuff and if it is like Magic Sculpt, and I think it is, it's also structural.

Beautiful JHM, simply beautiful.

Daryl J., wearing a suit

Mossie

Must admit, that Aves looks more like plastic than putty, beautiful stuff.  Daryl, what do you mean by the putty being 'stuctural', does it adhere strongly to plastic?  I've occasionally had a problem when using large amounts of Milliput in a concave surface, 'dis-attaching' itself.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Looking really good Barry  :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Mossie on March 20, 2009, 12:28:05 PM
Must admit, that Aves looks more like plastic than putty, beautiful stuff.  Daryl, what do you mean by the putty being 'stuctural', does it adhere strongly to plastic?  I've occasionally had a problem when using large amounts of Milliput in a concave surface, 'dis-attaching' itself.

Whereas Milliput will sometimes crack on its own just from the inherant flexing of, say, a wing-to-fuselage-joint----Aves seems to be stronger than the plastic to which it's attached.  It's like an epoxy glue with substance.  I give a light polishing to the plastic with an emery stick where I am going to apply the Aves and I can't imagine it coming off styrene once dried.  It takes quite a bit of extra pressure and speed to sand this stuff down and the only thing really holding my wings onto the fuselage is the Aves at this point (the little wingspars are more of a positioning device than a firm anchor).  I was pretty rough with the little airframe but it all held up.   :drink:

Aves stuff is expensive but worth it.  I curse it everytime I use it, only to marvel at how it looks once sanded down.   :thumbsup:

Mossie

Thanks Barry, I'll have to look out for it, a quick web search shows you can get it in Blighty. :thumbsup:  I've sometimes wondered about Green Stuff, but I've been put off by it's price.  Aves doesn't seem badly priced if you get it in the 1lb tub, price compares favourably per oz to Milliput.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Daryl J.

By structural, it is an actual building material.  Someone made the baseball glove for the Giants out of Magic Sculp that is huge and has no metal armature inside.   
http://www.magicsculp.com/Gallery_01_%20Pages/Miis/Miss_Main.htm

And here is Janine Bennett's figure out of Magic Sculp that I personally judged at the IPMS RECON 7 show in McMinneville, OR.  The leopard skin carpet had a scale texture to it; the entire thing is Magic Sculpt so the material will hold tremendously subtle detail. 

Warning: "Adultish" content so you're on your own with this one:
http://www.magicsculp.com/Gallery_01_%20Pages/Figures_01/Figure_Pages_01/Nov_01/Rick_Bennett/rick__bennett.htm

Ave's is a simple 'reboxing' of Magic Sculp according to someone 'in the know'.
So for us whiffers, Aves is a fantastic product.

And now back to regular programming.....
Daryl J.

KiwiZac

Wowza!!!! I agree, it is very Yakkish...mmm can't wait to see how this one turns out!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

John Howling Mouse

RON!  Help!  I keep seeing this is a natural metal finish-----remember what you promised?

I was also considering a bright yellow racing finish with b/w checkerboard flash but then I thought it would look too much like a NYC taxi.

sotoolslinger

Look you paint the danged thing green or blue or purple...... no ,no , not purple that's my next project
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Sauragnmon

Checkered control surfaces would look pretty damn cool on it, JHM.  Side thought, white/black checkers is good, what about a nice rich blue, with either gold-yellow or canary yellow racing stripes?

Just some food for thought.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

nev

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on March 21, 2009, 08:43:19 AM
RON!  Help!  I keep seeing this is a natural metal finish-----remember what you promised?

I was also considering a bright yellow racing finish with b/w checkerboard flash but then I thought it would look too much like a NYC taxi.

Nay, nay and thrice nay!

This is a "Mossie" fighter, ergo it should wear a Mosquito scheme.  I know you don't often do real world camo & markings, but I think it is appropriate in this case.

If you insist on an NMF finish then there are several options.  Best IMO is the SEAC with the blue roundels and ID bands, but there is also Israeli, Dominican Republic....
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May