So what would you do if you accidently broke a canopy ?

Started by Bungle, February 07, 2009, 02:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungle

Wasn't going to What-if this particular model as I had decided to do my usual OOB hack. But not being wary of the battered box I accidentally tipped some of the contents out of one end. Ok so Rule 1. when parts fall out on to the floor don't wheel your chair backwards to see where they have gone. Rule 2. Like toast and butter side down no matter where you drop parts they defy gravity and never go where you expect them to go. Rule 3. The crunching sound is not good. Rule 4. You know if you are going to b*gger anything up it will always be the part you cannot easily replace.

So yes I pushed back and before I could look for the part I heard the crunch. Getting up I gingerly moved my chair and hey presto one canopy in 57 different parts. Happy days.

Right I thought Out of the Box becomes Out of the Question, what if I cut here.... and here...a bit of glue... hey presto Canada's post war stop gap North Atlantic Patrol aircraft. Haven't got a name for it yet.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Sauragnmon

You sir, are worthy of applause for your solution to your situation.  Very well executed indeed.  Definately some very good Salvage-fu.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Optimist

There is some clear shrink tube available to shrink the accu  for RC planes.... if you could glue the canopy ... make a  copy using gypsum or resin and shrink that tube over  ... the result is great, but you should take care not to put it in the sun directly  - especially when it is painted! -> then it shrinks further!!

Mossie

Good work!  I did a similar thing with a 1/48 Ta-154, I'd already bashed it to within an inch of it's life, but I wanted to keep the canopy.  Very similar to you, tipped the box, it fell out, then stepped back thinking this would be the best option to avoid treading on it.

Bugger. :banghead:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

noxioux

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

cthulhu77

"happy accidents" are the way great whiffs are born !!!

Green Dragon

Great rescue Bungle, I probably would've chucked it all back in it's box for several years before I could look at it again!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Ed S

Nice recovery.  Necessity being the mother of invention and all, I'd say you did pretty well.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

John Howling Mouse

Nice save and a great bonus that you ended up with something truly original.   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Brian da Basher

That save has the mark of genius all over it! What a unique looking aricraft!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

P.S. How about calling it the Martin Martinique? I'll get me coat....

Bungle

Thank you all for the kind comments .... as for the name, well I just logged on and I got the message welcoming our newest member 'martinbayer' so in honour I guess I'll call it the Martin B-26.5 MBayer (the M is silent as in aardvark).

Mr de Basher, I believe you have my coat...!
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

JayBee

Come on admit it. Subconsiously you knew you had to crush that offending canopy, just so you would have an excuse for what is a superb WHIF.
Well done.

JayBee
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!