Finishing a P-38 thirty years later, as a glider

Started by Tophe, February 08, 2009, 05:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Work is going on, very slowly, 1/32 is SO big...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

John Howling Mouse

My friend, that is surprisingly symmetrical ---!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Tophe

Slowly going on... Completion scheduled for end of 2009, after 20 more putty tubes...

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Tophe on June 20, 2009, 01:45:23 AM
Slowly going on... Completion scheduled for end of 2009, after 20 more putty tubes...

Heh, heh, welcome to kitbashing!  This is why our amazing Rafa prefers to work using sawdust mixed with pine sap!   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

PR19_Kit

Tophe,

Just keep in mind that single-handedly you're keeping the putty manufacturers in business!  :lol:

The GP-38 looks excellent BTW, I'll hang on patiently till the years end to see the completed job.

(GP-38? That's a US railroad locomotive......)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 20, 2009, 09:24:53 AM
Uh? Google confirmed, thanks. I feel ashamed, I was just meaning Glider-P-38, but... as the CG-4 is Cargo-Glider-4, there must be the Pursuit-Glider-38: PG-38, Yes! Thanks for the correction (and Google confirmed there is no PG-38 famous other machine).

cthulhu77

cool personified.  that is going to be the best glider of all time. period.

PR19_Kit

Tophe,

It's OK, you can't be expected to know EVERY designation of every form of transport on the planet. Only died-in-the-wool railroad and aviation nuts would have made the connection.

Plus I have about 6-7 GP38 N Scale models in my collection anyway.  :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

I have to agree with my esteemed colleague Greg in seconding the 'best glider of all time' nomination !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Allan

Looking forward to seeing more posts of this bird, Tophe.
Slow, steady progress should be the aim, I think.
Allan in Canberra

Tophe

Thanks for your nice comments, all of you.
Only one, very true, makes me a little uncomfortable, interestingly also:
Quote from: sequoiaranger on February 14, 2009, 09:50:11 AM
As a glider, it certainly won't need those drag-producing radiators in the tails (I know--more cutting and PSR), and will have slim-looking appendages like the Saab J-21.
YES, from a glider, sailplane, point of view, you are very right, SequoiaRanger.

BUT in this Revell 1/32 boom parts, there was not a tube, solid, with additional optional radiators (that I would have discarded): the central matter turns central void with the holding matter being in external radiators, almost all. If I cut off these radiators, the booms will break, so I would need to build them again with holding pens and much putty maybe. Well, I undestand this could bring a further step inside what-ifing: elongated booms or reduced booms but such a hard work... Will I be courageous enough? (without feeling plastic modelism is too much time-consuming compared to drawing?)...

SO I consider another way: let me find a story justifying such a PG-38... Pursuit-Glider... Of course, a glider will not run fast after enemy bombers to shoot them down, and furthermore I dislike war. So... pursuit of what? Of birds... Released by some mother-plane, the PG-38 would glide towards bird squads travelling from south to north (or opposite) when the season comes, and without engine nor propellers, that may less frighten them. That is a mission... (with making a filmof the birds quietly flapping their wings). NOW what about the big drag-producing things on the booms (without engine to cool down)? Well, they could be smoke-releasing devices (famous in the Navy) to protect the birds from human hunters... In France's Pyrennées mountains, many hunters wait for the bird season-travels to shoot down lot of them, they find that pleasant and there is almost a war with animal-protector ecologists, verbal violence and gun threat... hiding the victims in clouds would protect the birds without violence towards human beings... Jesus-Christ would approve this way. (Well, I feel better, and yes, I am going to take my daily psychiatric pill, what-if dreaming is partly illegal here in France I know... Sorry.)

Not Pursuit-Glider-38, but Protector-Glider-38, without bullets... And don't shout, dear ecologists, this is not chemical smoke nor CO2-producing evil, but water vapor like clouds (with vaporizing from clean solar energy), I swear. No, doctor, no injection please, the pill is going to take effect, for sure...

Tophe

Tophe,
Just keep in mind that single-handedly you're keeping the putty manufacturers in business!  :lol:
The order arrived... I am ready to fill much... then sand, then repeat, then again, and again, and...

SSgt Baloo

You have my respect, Tophe! I've never ventured far beyond the box except pith pencil, paper and/or electrons. :thumbsup:
Not older than dirt but remembers when it was still under warranty.

Tophe

:huh: >:( SO much work to do, at this 1/32 scale... I will, (very) little by (very) little... :blink:
I started it maybe 30 years ago, it can wait a few more months...  <_<

Stargazer

Quote from: Tophe on June 20, 2009, 09:58:57 AM
Uh? Google confirmed, thanks. I feel ashamed, I was just meaning Glider-P-38, but... as the CG-4 is Cargo-Glider-4, there must be the Pursuit-Glider-38: PG-38, Yes! Thanks for the correction (and Google confirmed there is no PG-38 famous other machine).

Don't want to spoil the fun, but "PG-" was specifically used for "Powered Gliders"... (PG-1 to -3).

There never was a prefix for glider conversions... The "G-" prefix indicated aircraft that were permanently grounded; the "F" prefix was already used for photographic versions. There is no possible designation in store for your project, unless you imagine the creation of a "Fighter Glider" category (but even then, "FG-" was used the Cornelius XFG-1 fuel glider...). "CG-" for combat glider is also out (used for Cargo Gliders)...

Now if you consider a Navy version, this could have been an LO-1 (L = glider, O = Lockheed, 1 = first such type)...