Finishing a P-38 thirty years later, as a glider

Started by Tophe, February 08, 2009, 05:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

from my P-824 topic:
Quote from: Tophe on September 11, 2010, 09:24:30 PM
my models are not for contest, to take into the hand and turn in every direction, their goal is to be pleasant for me on a shelf, or on a single picture
Well, here I may confess the bad side of this huge LO-1 model, finished for the view side so completely finished for me, stop!
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on August 04, 2010, 08:10:58 PM
It's bad luck to cancel a T-Tail, mon ami.
Shame on me... I apologize, I had to repair... I have used an old metal P-38 that was given to me, already built, and I have moved the tailplane. Please don't send me to Hell :wacko: , I have repaired my fault somehow, not on the big 1/32 white bird but on a 1/100 blue bird. :blink:

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Tophe on September 16, 2010, 08:59:53 AM
Quote from: John Howling Mouse on August 04, 2010, 08:10:58 PM
It's bad luck to cancel a T-Tail, mon ami.
Shame on me... I apologize, I had to repair... I have used an old metal P-38 that was given to me, already built, and I have moved the tailplane. Please don't send me to Hell :wacko: , I have repaired my fault somehow, not on the big 1/32 white bird but on a 1/100 blue bird. :blink:

Well, maybe not Hades but to Purgatory with you, blasphemer!   ;-)   Looks good, Monsieur. 
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Pablo1965

You are a mentalist capable to read my mind.
I am not as original as I believe.
I always have thought that putting in high position the horizontal tail surfaces, the space to turn is more short.
Do You belive something similar? :blink:

Tophe

Well, for me, changing parts position is just intended to be funny or at least uncommon, enriching families of derivatives. I am glad when there is some technical "good reason" to do so, but I don't require it. For the T-tail story and advantages, do you know the book about its inventor Charles de Rougé? by my publisher "La Plume du Temps", alas all in French sorry. Including several drawings of mine. The main advantage is that the tailplane is more efficient, being free from the vortex made by the wing, if I remember well.

Quote from: Pablo1965 on September 27, 2010, 05:07:18 PM
The same for me: before having Internet, model-magazines turned me wrong, thinking I was the only unrealist modeller in the World... >:( :lol:

Pablo1965

Quote from: Tophe on September 27, 2010, 08:04:13 PM
Well, for me, changing parts position is just intended to be funny or at least uncommon, enriching families of derivatives. I am glad when there is some technical "good reason" to do so, but I don't require it. For the T-tail story and advantages, do you know the book about its inventor Charles de Rougé? by my publisher "La Plume du Temps", alas all in French sorry. Including several drawings of mine. The main advantage is that the tailplane is more efficient, being free from the vortex made by the wing, if I remember well.

Quote from: Pablo1965 on September 27, 2010, 05:07:18 PM
The same for me: before having Internet, model-magazines turned me wrong, thinking I was the only unrealist modeller in the World... >:( :lol:

I am very interesting in the "T" tail, I think the Whirldwind and the Hawkwer Seahawk have two examples that how I like the tails.
Sometimes I wonder how will be a P-38 with a tail like the Bronco... and a turbine engine....and modern radar....some sidewinders...jajajaja

Tophe

Dear Pablo, I let you dream of Sidewinder weapons, while I am a naive pacifist... For the rest, almost all the possible Lightnings have been considered on my what-if P-38 web-site http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/#Sit - in french sorry but you may translate it in another language with Yahoo BabelFish or Google Translate. Any other addition would be welcome! (words are enough, I would draw according to my usual angle).

Pablo1965

Quote from: Tophe on September 28, 2010, 07:54:15 PM
Dear Pablo, I let you dream of Sidewinder weapons, while I am a naive pacifist... For the rest, almost all the possible Lightnings have been considered on my what-if P-38 web-site http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/#Sit - in french sorry but you may translate it in another language with Yahoo BabelFish or Google Translate. Any other addition would be welcome! (words are enough, I would draw according to my usual angle).

I am a naive pacifist also, I only use the armament to locate temporally the planes in a historic period of time. By other hand the tecnic french is easy to read for my, because I buy the " La fane de l'aviation" revue during years, and read the french lenguage. After to see your treatise over the P-38, my eyes are closed to his posibilities, limited, missing over the bauty and posibilities of this plane. :thumbsup: :bow: :bow:
Thanks for open our minds. :bow:

Stargazer

Quote from: Pablo1965 on September 28, 2010, 01:20:53 PM
I am very interesting in the "T" tail, I think the Whirldwind and the Hawkwer Seahawk have two examples that how I like the tails.
Sometimes I wonder how will be a P-38 with a tail like the Bronco... and a turbine engine....and modern radar....some sidewinders...jajajaja

A Pi-Tail P-38 would definitely be a neat thing to do in photoshop form... turbine engines of course, you're right... and even with bubble canopy to boot... I think I'll give it a go some time soon...  :thumbsup:

Tophe

Pablo1965

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on November 09, 2010, 02:49:21 AM
Quote from: Pablo1965 on September 28, 2010, 01:20:53 PM

A Pi-Tail P-38 would definitely be a neat thing to do in photoshop form... turbine engines of course, you're right... and even with bubble canopy to boot... I think I'll give it a go some time soon...  :thumbsup:

Think in the P-38 with the tail of the Bronco and turbine with the F-18  nose.