Brazilian Kitty Hawk (CV-63) 2010

Started by Arc3371, February 13, 2009, 08:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arc3371

In a game I play I have just bought the CV-63 Kitty Hawk and not being that knowledgeable about modern carrier aviation I was wondering what would in your opinion be the best air group. Note that a Navalized F-22 or JSF is not being considered.

dy031101

Not good with the number details, but I'd figure that she would've probably started with the same variety of aircraft as the São Paulo has.

After that, in term of fighters, either Legacy Hornets if you want second-hand, or brand-new Super Hornets or Rafale......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Arc3371

Should probably mention that the Sao Paolo remains in service, a joint airgroup that migrates as one of the carriers is undergoing maintenance  ?

GTX

I assume in this scenario, Brazil purchases the Kitty Hawlk after the USN decommissions her - if so, the type of aircraft she might have operated in USN service at the same time would be hard to ignore:

* F/A-18E/F Super Hornet - already a candidate for Brazil's new fighter;
    * F/A-18 Hornet - possible use from Sao Paolo as well?
    * EA-6B Prowler or more likely, some EA-18G Growlers;
    * E-2 Hawkeye - or perhaps a S-3B Viking modded to carry the Erieye airborne radar from the Embraer R-99;
    * C-2 Greyhound;
    * SH-60F Seahawk - already on order by the brasilian Navy I believe; and
    * HH-60H Seahawk.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Arc3371

What other carrier fighters are available? MiG-29K and Rafale M and ?

GTX

Su-33/Su-27K, Harriers (probably go with AV-8B+), + all the older types.

Regards,

Greg

Arc3371

GTX

Maybe introduce a navalised AMX?

Regards,

Greg

Arc3371

With the AMX about to be replaced OTL that might not be all that wise, this is what I requested from the US for NAe Rio de Janeiro A14(ex Kitty Hawk)

21 F-14D Tomcat
26 F/A-18C Hornet
4 EA-6B Prowler combat
4 E-2D Hawkeye
7 S-3B Viking
7 SH-60F/HH-60H Sea Hawk

And this planned for NAe São Paulo A12

20 Daussault Rafale M
15 A-4MB Skyhawks
3 S-61D-3 Seaking
2 AS 532 Cougar

GTX

F-14 would be hard to support.  Likewise Prowler.  I'd replace both with Super Hornet variants.  I'd also try for commanality between airwings so would go with either F/A-18C or Rafale M for both (or maybe even go Rafales all around with a combination of single seaters, twin seaters and EW variants?.  Maybe dump the A-4s too.

Regards,

Greg

Arc3371

Can F/A-18´s operate from the Foch? The A-4´s are a legacy from the former carrier and there is a budget system...

dy031101

I don't think that the US would be so keen on exporting the ALQ-99 even if it'd be of an older model used on the Prowler.

IIRC, the Bush administration in 2008 banned the export of F-14s stored in the Boneyard in order to prevent spare parts from ultimately being smuggled into Iran...... (of course for the sake of the game, one can always say that Brazil negociated their way around it.)

Legacy Hornets can fly from the São Paulo, albeit, AFAIK, in either an air defense loadout or a light ground attack loadout (like a couple of 500lb bombs).  Ditto for Rafale.

How would a single-seat attack version of the Su-25UTG sound after the Skyhawks retire?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Arc3371

The Su-25UTG sounds fine any other suggestions?

GTX

As an alternative, one could introduce a navalised Gripen and also a navalised Typhoon.  The Gripens on the São Paulo and both on the Kitty Hawk (have you renamed it?).  I would still look to some Vikings - maybe updated as I said above.  I would also consider introducing naval variants of some of Brazil's own products - the Embraer EMB-120 or even Legacy or Phenom range in various roles.

Regards,

Greg

Arc3371

"Legacy or Phenom range in various roles." Sorry didn´t understand this part, the JAS-39NG navalised :drool.. I will be buying 6 S-3B.

The question about carrier groups have been more or less resolved now comes the question about replacing the F-5M and AMX both needing replacements in the near future...