Winter/arctic markings & colours (was Let It Snow thread)

Started by Mossie, February 16, 2009, 07:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffry Fontaine

Has anyone found a decent model of a snowmobile in 1/32nd or 1/35th scale?  The die-cast thing that I picked up last year is not bestowed with much detail other than a classic snowmobile shape.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

philp

Jeffrey,
Revell made one in 1/24th scale years ago that came on a trailer with a pick-up truck IIRC.

Never seen one in 32nd/35th scale.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

kitnut617

Quote from: nev on March 09, 2009, 02:21:00 AM
Some great photos of a ski-equipped C-130 here

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=135422&st=280&start=280

With all the snow the east side of the N.A. continent has been getting, they're most appropriate, nice photos for reference too as I've got a 1/72 Cutting Edge ski set to put on one of my C-130's.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

gunfighter

I´ve started my entry for this GB, but...is it running? which is the closing date? Do I post the pics in this same thread?

Mossie

I only proposed it about three weeks ago.  If peeps want to run it more quickly, we could maybe do an 'unoffical' GB.  I'm personally not worried about waiting.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

nev

Some great photos taken @ Bardufoss in Norway in this thread

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7007

I'm happy to wait to see if this is selected in the next round of polls.  Got too much on the bench right now as it is.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

nev

Some more inspiration - Crapache with skis, and some snow!

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

nev

Some more from a visit to RAF Cosford museum last week - word of warning from the wise, don't use cheap batteries in your camera because they will die after you use the flash a couple of times  :banghead:

4 year old is for scale purposes

Daryl J.

No one knows the colors of the streaked fabric for a Fokker Dr.1 so a winter streak pattern ought to work quite well on the Roden 1/32 kit or the Revell 1/28 kit yes?    And, since there is a new tool Fokker D.VII in 1/32 coming, the Dr.1 should get a cousin carrying a winter lozenge pattern.   I'm not just sure what the Brits would do, however, to counter the move.    :party: :party: :party:

philp

Quote from: Daryl J. on April 23, 2009, 09:50:29 AM
I'm not just sure what the Brits would do, however, to counter the move. 

That would be the Sopwith Snowball.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

BlackOps

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

rallymodeller

Great. Now I gotta scratch some skis for my 1/32 Apache.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: rallymodeller on April 24, 2009, 08:48:14 PMGreat. Now I gotta scratch some skis for my 1/32 Apache.
I would certainly like to see some more information on the Apache and Blackhawk equipped with skis.  Several images on-line show them but at a distance and without the detail you really need to scratch-build the things.  Any after market skis available (other than DB and Cutting Cheese for the C-130) for large aircraft and helicopter models?

Quote from: philp on March 09, 2009, 07:58:39 PMRevell made one in 1/24th scale years ago that came on a trailer with a pick-up truck IIRC.
Never seen one in 32nd/35th scale.
Hi Phil, I would prefer something in 1/32nd or 1/35th scale.  The 1/24th scale snowmobile would be a bit too large unless you were going to do a scale-o-rama build.  It would certainly be swell if there was something available in plastic that was compatible with 1/48th or 1/35th scale. 

On another note, I found a page devoted to the C-130D Hercules that was fitted with skis to operate on snow.  It is the Firebird Association web page which is
Quotededicated to those men, who gallantly and courageously served their country during World War II and the Vietnam era as members of the 17th Troop Carrier Squadron and later as the 17th Tactical Airlift Squadron. Special recognition is given to the extraordinary accomplishments of the personnel who have crewed or supported the C-130 "ski model" of the 61st, 17th, Navy VXE-6, and 139th squadrons. The Firebird tradition continues with the men and women of the 517th Airlift Squadron in Alaska. Never have so few done so much at such risk to themselves and their aircraft.
There are plenty of images of the ski equipped C-130 that may be of some use for anyone interested in large cargo planes on skis.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

nev

Here's a few pics of British armour in Holland/Germany in the winter of 44-45.  Tempted to do my Black Prince in a winter scheme like this - as worn in the battles of the winter of 45-46 ;)