Winter/arctic markings & colours (was Let It Snow thread)

Started by Mossie, February 16, 2009, 07:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

I never realised that us Brits used winter cam.  Mind you, most references you find tend to feature German tanks first & Soviet second, followed by the US, then it's as if nobody else turned up!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

My Do335 should be finished this week, if y'all want, I can post it into this thread.......

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

nev

QuoteI never realised that us Brits used winter cam

I think the LVT is especially interesting - not quite a pacific island where they were usually!
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: philp on May 07, 2009, 10:10:56 PMNow this one has potential.
http://www.round2models.com/models/mpc/super-sno-sport

Surprised that it is not sponsored by Binford Tools and Tim 'Toolman' Taylor as the driver.  Odd looking rig.  Makes you wonder how stable it is a high speeds?
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Mossie

On Don Color, there are instructions for a Swedish splinter winter scheme, replacing the tan & lightest green with white.  Apparently this was part of a real document, but it was never used, or at least no photos are known of any trial aircraft.  So painting a Swedish aircraft, as well as any other, in this scheme would qualify as a whiff.  It'd also make the process easier as you only have to mask for three colours instead of the usual four.

I did a rough repaint to see what it would look like:

philp

Buddy of mine in Sweden sent me decals and pictures of the Bulldog in Splinter camo (still got to finish that kit).  Some of the shots show a winter splinter camo tarp pulled over the wings that looks like what you did.  Will have to get these scanned on the computer some time.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

PanzerWulff

Quote from: nev on May 07, 2009, 04:09:42 AM
QuoteI never realised that us Brits used winter cam

I think the LVT is especially interesting - not quite a pacific island where they were usually!
The LVT was used in crossing the Rhine The British called them Buffalos while the US refered to them as Alligators and Amtracks
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

nev

Yeah, but the Rhine crossing wasn't till March - that pic is several months before then.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

PanzerWulff

From what I have read they were used in crossing the many rivers in western europe from late september 1944 onwards,never in large numbers but they were mostly used to establish bridgeheads for combat engineer units
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

Mossie

'Nother one, I've seen plenty of pics of RAF Harriers in winter camo, but didn't realise that USMC AV-8A's had worn their own version.  Spotted a profile in the latest copy of MAM, so I dug around on the net for a pic:

pyro-manic

Nice!

I've seen RAF Harriers and Jags in winter colours, but did Lightnings, Phantoms or Tornados ever wear similar schemes?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

lancer

Quote from: pyro-manic on May 14, 2009, 12:44:47 PM
Nice!

I've seen RAF Harriers and Jags in winter colours, but did Lightnings, Phantoms or Tornados ever wear similar schemes?

the short answer is no they didn't. The question now is who is going to be the first to build one of the above in a winter scheme???
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Mossie

I've got a Model Alliance sheet which has a Tonka of Shiny Two in winter camo.  I've no idea just how official this was & I've been unable to find any photos, I assume it was purely experimental.  The same sheet contains the 'Flashman' Desert Pink over grey scheme.  They're both shown on the front the page:
http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=ML72104