Winter/arctic markings & colours (was Let It Snow thread)

Started by Mossie, February 16, 2009, 07:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

Quote from: Mossie on May 14, 2009, 08:39:43 AM
'Nother one, I've seen plenty of pics of RAF Harriers in winter camo, but didn't realise that USMC AV-8A's had worn their own version.  Spotted a profile in the latest copy of MAM, so I dug around on the net for a pic:

What are those under the wings, napalm tanks?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Found this on Airliners.net.  It's a museum bird in the US so the camo might not be authentic, but still looks good.

Anyone still interested in this GB?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McGreig

Quote from: Mossie on July 31, 2009, 03:01:38 AM
Anyone still interested in this GB?

I am :thumbsup: I mentioned in my post on the GB Vote Nominating thread that there were a few GB proposals that had generated lots of interest (30+ replies and 1,000+ views) when first suggested but seemed to have dropped from sight - Let it Snow, Vive La France, Fennoscandia/Nordic and Handley Page were the most prominent.

Of these, Let It Snow was one of the most popular with 77 replies and about 1,500 views - it would be good to see it at least get on to the voting list.

Taiidantomcat

Still interest here too  :thumbsup: Its a Great Idea.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Mossie

Great stuff!  I've got a feeling it's not so much interest waninig, as other proposals come in it's natural for the older ones to go to the back of the queue.  It's just that there hasn't been a GB vote since this was raised.  Ironically, if it it does go through in the next round, it'll be the height of summer! :lol:

Green Dragon

I'm interested too Mossie, really like that Marine Corps Harrier. :thumbsup:

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

nev

Quote from: Mossie on July 31, 2009, 02:33:23 PM
Great stuff!  I've got a feeling it's not so much interest waninig, as other proposals come in it's natural for the older ones to go to the back of the queue.  It's just that there hasn't been a GB vote since this was raised.  Ironically, if it it does go through in the next round, it'll be the height of summer! :lol:

If it does get selected (fingers crossed), you could always ask for it to be the last one to start going into Autumn.  At least it'll finish in winter that way :D
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: lancer on May 14, 2009, 02:55:44 PM
Quote from: pyro-manic on May 14, 2009, 12:44:47 PM
Nice!

I've seen RAF Harriers and Jags in winter colours, but did Lightnings, Phantoms or Tornados ever wear similar schemes?

the short answer is no they didn't. The question now is who is going to be the first to build one of the above in a winter scheme???

Erm.... the Tornado has. I'm sure 617 has had aircraft in grey/white wraparound.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

nev

I built a semi-whiff 1/32 Tornado a few years back in grey/white in 617 markings.  AFAIK they never wore winter camo, but other Tornado squadrons have.  2 are definately one of them.

Mossie

Guys, see my link at the top of this page for the Modeldecal sheet with Shiney Two in winter wraparound.

One of my Ka-58 profiles in Finnish winter scheme:

Mossie

lancer

Count me as very interested in this GB. I like sticking things in winter cammo.

Question - This GB is open to all types isn't it? I have an idea for a couple of NON aircraft as well
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Mossie

Yeah, absolutley anything, aircraft, armour, ships, sci-fi, in fact anything you can adapt to a snowy/icy environment one way or another.  Give me a little while, I'll knock up some draft rules just in case we get the go ahead from Kommisar Anatoly.

nev

voting should open soon for the next round of GBs....as Mayor Diamond Joe Quimby would say "I hereby declare this day to be Snow Day"