Winter/arctic markings & colours (was Let It Snow thread)

Started by Mossie, February 16, 2009, 07:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: nev on August 09, 2009, 09:47:33 AM
voting should open soon for the next round of GBs....as Mayor Diamond Joe Quimby would say "I hereby declare this day to be Snow Day"

That cracked me up, love that episode.

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Mossie

Draft rules as promised:

1 Models of any genre can take part.  Aircraft, armour, ships, sci-fi, figures, military or civillian, plus anything I've forgetten.

2 The model must clearly be suited to snowy or icey conditions.  This can be either by means of the paint scheme (camouflage or hi-viz), equipment fit, or as part of a diorama, or cobinations of all of them.

3 Dioramas, scratchbuilds, conversions & kitbashes are welcomed.

4 CLASSIFIED

5 Must be a Whif (duh)!

6 There is no rule 6.  Not to be confused with rule 4.

7 Prizes, not sure yet, I'll let you know when I do.

8 Good luck & have fun!

Let me know if there's anything that's not clear or needs a re-think. :cheers:

Simon.
:party:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Taiidantomcat

Well said on Rule #2  :thumbsup: We need to get these GBs on the road!  Im impatient to start (and fail to finish of course) more GBs

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

AeroplaneDriver

Not a whif obviously, but this is my sole attempt at a winter diorama, which I drag out and display at Christmas.  I was tickled pink when it was the only thing posted on the ARC Homepage on Christmas Day a few years ago.

The dio is unofficially titled 'Peace on Earth' when it comes out at Christmas.

The snow is just baking soda dusted over the original basic plane-on-grass diorama. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

nev

Nick, that is a beautiful little vignette, and very appropriate.  I may have to pinch it ;)

I sure hope this GB goes ahead, I got my entry all lined up and ready to go :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

nev

Some spectacular photos of Norweigan Vipers posted on UKAR  :thumbsup:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

kitnut617

I saw those photos in Combat Aircraft magazine too, nice article that goes with them.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

ChernayaAkula

Oh, those are spectacular indeed!  :o Very, very nice.  :bow:

Didn't know the Norwegians had these cavern hangars as well. Does make sense, though.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Taiidantomcat

AeroplaneDriver

Cavern hangers are sooooo cool...soooo Star Wars...  Great pics Nev!   :thumbsup:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Mossie

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on August 19, 2009, 04:10:19 PM

Hope this scheme counts  :huh:

Does for me! :thumbsup:  For camo, bascially, if it's got white in it's a go'er, more or less (of course there are white schemes that wouldn't fit, i.e. naval schemes).  I posted a profile I did a little while back of a USAF Tornado in desert colours with white portions for Utah ANG.  I'm always fascinated with Utah, that it can snow in a desert that blisters in the summer.  So if you can find a backstory for it, you can add a snow camouflage to pretty much anything, especially where sci-fi is concerned.

Great pic by the way, also Nev with those mountain Vipers!

Nick, that Spit is just the kind of thing.  If you don't want to finish a subject in camo or high viz, then crack out the icing sugar or baking soda!
:thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

philp

Quote from: Mossie on August 22, 2009, 07:20:17 PM
I posted a profile I did a little while back of a USAF Tornado in desert colours with white portions for Utah ANG.  I'm always fascinated with Utah, that it can snow in a desert that blisters in the summer. 

You ought to try living here.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Mossie

Well, I can kind of understand from the weather we have here.  The climate here is mild, but very variable.  I was in London this week & we had a mix.  Warm the first day, hot the second, blistering the third.  The fourth day was something else.  Temps had dropped fifteen to twenty degrees centigrade from the previous day & the wind had picked up.  But the temperatures kept changing & going up another ten to fifteen degrees, then dropping again, coupled with the odd short sprinkling of rain.  So we went out in jeans & t-shirt, took a coat, kept zipping up, unzipping, taking it off, then wishing we were in shorts & back and forth again, all within the same hour, no exageration.

Taiidantomcat

central and northern NM is the same way, snowy sand. but it usually melts after only a few days.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?