Winter/arctic markings & colours (was Let It Snow thread)

Started by Mossie, February 16, 2009, 07:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan Hartke

Everyone jokes about Canada being this snow covered tundra where everyone dresses like Eskimos most of the year.  I was merely joking that these pictures are feeding the stereotype.

Cheers,

Logan

GTX

You lucky sod!!!  It's been humid and bouncing around the 35C+ for the last week or more here.  Take the cold any day.

regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

B777LR

Quote from: GTX on December 10, 2009, 11:31:35 AM
You lucky sod!!!  It's been humid and bouncing around the 35C+ for the last week or more here.  Take the cold any day.

regards,

Greg

Funny, i said the same when i lived in Africa. Then we moved back to Denmark...

kitnut617

Quote from: Logan Hartke on December 10, 2009, 09:57:14 AM
Everyone jokes about Canada being this snow covered tundra where everyone dresses like Eskimos most of the year.  I was merely joking that these pictures are feeding the stereotype.

Cheers,

Logan

Our local TV weather forecaster usually has a weather related quiz question each day and only a couple of weeks ago his question was, which area of Canada gets the least amount of snow (precipitation is what he actually said).  The answer was the 'tundra', apparently it the closest Canada has to a desert with regards to getting precipitation.

Mind you one of the good things about having these long winters, no bugs for a least 5 months, not even in the house where it's warm.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 10, 2009, 09:34:52 AM
Quote from: Mossie on December 10, 2009, 08:36:58 AM
Winter!  December 21st to March 21st.  I'll talk to Bri & Nick about getting a sub-forum set up for it as it's not far off now.

That might be the 'official' winter Simon, our winter started back in October and lasts to April  :lol:

Pics of my yard at the moment, first one is of after I cleared my driveway, second one is a drift almost as high as the 4 foot fence, and the last one is a drift about 6 or 7 feet deep, 100 feet long and 80 feet wide,

Edit, Forgot to mention, it was -20C when we went out and took the photos, it had just 'warmed up' from -30C from the night before  ;D 

Well, you know how it is in the UK, if we get the amount of snow that's on the road after it's been ploughed, the country comes grinding to a halt & the media goes on about how we've been hit by a big freeze.  Then it all melts by midday!  ;D :rolleyes: ;D

What I always found strange was Christmas cards from Greg's end of the world.  My Dad's best freind emigrated to Aus & visited freinds & family back here every few years or so.  The cards they sent us always had snow scenes (although they once sent one with a Kangaroo with a Santa hat on, which I thought was pretty cool)!  Not sure if that's the norm in Aus or if they had a knack for finding things that us at home would identify with.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

nev

OH-1 with skis, and a nice CH-47 with snowy background :wub:

5 days to go!!
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Jeffry Fontaine

Modellversium just posted a product review that is quite relevant to this proposed group build.  The product is called "Instant Snow" and it is sold in a small metal container about half the size of a standard carbonated beverage container (Coke can).  Here is a link to translated page (courtesy of babelfish/yahoo.com)

(image source: modelversium.de)

Snow in a can, just add water and you have snow for your model without the worry of melting.  Here is the link to the product web page for Instant Snow
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Mossie

Okay, Bri has kindly set up a forum ready to start on Monday 21st December 2009 & finishes Sunday 21st March 2010 (winter solstice to spring equinox in the northern hemisphere), in fact, this thread now lives in it!

Ladies & Gentlemen, start your engines.... :tank:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Weaver

Things I could do for this GB:

1. 1/72nd Pegasus Fokker D.XXIII in Finnish markings with retractable resin skis from a Smer I-153

2. 1/72nd Airfix Boulton-Paul Defiant "shturmovik" in Finnish service with fixed skis from a PM Fokker D.XXI, manual turret from an Anson and re-positioned radiator (chin?).

3. 1/76th JB/Airfix Landrover (FC or long-bonnet) with full or half-track conversion using Scorpion parts, in British Antarctic Survey colours.

4. 1/144th Revell RJ-85 with USB engines and either skis or ACLS, in BAS colours. (Don't hold your breath for this one).

Time is, as always, the enemy......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

TsrJoe

ooohh i love the sound of the first 3 models mentioned there 'weaver'

go on build them all!  :thumbsup:

cheers, joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

nev

AS well as my F-22J which already has its own thread, I want to do another "quick" build.  A 1/76 British tank, either a Black Price or an A39 Tortoise.  Obviously tempory winter camo and the winter of 45/46, and either on the western front, or more likely, in Norway.  Churchill always wanted to invade there, and had to be constantly persuaded not to by Brooke (not that the Americans would ever support it, especially after they got dragged into Italy against their better judgement)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

kitnut617

While plowing through with my STOVL Canberra, I bought one of the new Airfix 1/72 Canberra kits, a B(I).8, because I was looking for some bits from it.  Instead I went with something else so my intention is to join this GB with the new Canberra, build it OOB but paint it a Harrier style green/white wrap-around winter camo scheme, or a Jaguar style.  I asked John Adams if he knew of any Canberra that had any sort of winter camo but he told me he had no knowledge of any been done.

So something simple for me this time   :lol:

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

Sounds good to me Robert, glad to have you!

TsrJoe

some Canberra/Intruder artworks by John Lacey 'maverick' ...

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)