Canberra MR23

Started by PR19_Kit, February 16, 2009, 02:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Coo, that sounds good. :)

Not having seen or heard of it could you give us a brief description? That'd be three of them when I've finished, yours, Bex's and mine.

I've just smoothed down the primer on the MR23 and put the first top coat on and it's drying as I write. More piccies tomorrow I expect.

Yes, Martin, my target IS to get it ready for Cosford.......  -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Aircav

Quote from: lancer on April 02, 2009, 08:37:10 AM
apologies for the interruption, but MODERATORS, is there any way to get the pictures and write up of my Sea Canberra from the old site???
I think it might be of interest with the current maritime Canberras being built etc!

You mean this
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/oldsite/air/lsalter/seabucc.htm
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Lance.

That's terrific! We are on amazingly similar thought paths here, what with radar noses and MAD booms in the tail. My MR23 is perhaps a tad heavier armed than yours though. No, make that LOTS heavier armed!  :lol: See the completed piccies later for an explanation.

Does yours still exist? If so, the three of them would look great on an SIG stand sometime.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Glued all the little aerials, intakes, anti-collision lights etc. in position and given the MR23 a top coat of Light Sea Grey. There should have been lots more odds and ends, but the add-on kit I used, an old C Scale PR9 white metal detail set, needed so much filing and trimming that 6 of the little bits went ballistic and ended up in my carpet, never to be seen again.  >:(

Worse was to come, when I checked I found there wasn't enough nose weight on board, even though I'd epoxied two tyre weights in the nose! Even putting one of Mr. Adam's seats in position didn't do it, so I zipped round to the local angling shop and bought a load of 2 mm dia. line weights. Trying to explain that the size was THE most important thing (they had to fit through the gap between the ejector seat platform and the fuselage side...) caused a wave of hysteria to course though the the assembled anglers, needless to say.  :lol:

I poured about half the amount of pellets I'd bought through the gap and shook them down into the nose, but trying to get some acrylic glue in there as well wasn't easy. It was so thick it wanted to spread all over the cockpit area, so I made a pourer out of styrene strip and used that as a guide.

More paint on later tonight with luck.

Regards
Kit

Brian da Basher

Your modifications, especially those on the nose, appear flawless.
:bow:
Brian da Basher

PR19_Kit

Thank you Brian, coming from a man of your evident skils that's praise indeed!  :thumbsup:

I'm sorry I couldn't fit spats to it, there isn't enough space under the low slung Canberra for such aerodynamic enhancements........ ;)

Regards
Kit

sideshowbob9

Have to say I'm fairly impressed with the nose as well.  :cheers:

Just edited to add that between your MR.23 & the new Honduran B-57, I do have a naval canberra in the works myself. It's essentially complete but pretty far back in the paint que so it won't feature here for a little while. It will be a USN carrier-borne 'Medium Attack' Martin A2M, based on the B-57B and featuring a T-tail and an ECM tailcone. I hope it's sufficiently different that I won't be accused of plagerism  ;D

kitnut617

I'd have to say I like this even more now it's got some paint on Kit, certainly looks the business that's for sure.   :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

In the middle of a mammmoth modelling session this week, my wife sees me for meals and bed time only.  :lol:

The MR23 is out of the paint shop now, en route to the decal hangar later today. Spent yesterday evening doing the decals for it and printed them up before bed time (2 am....)

The advent of the PC and inkjet decal paper has revolutionised my modelling, if a decal is knackered I can scan it, clean it up and modify the colours if need be and then print them out in good shape. For the MR23 I did a lot of own design stuff as the scheme will be a bit special.

1 day to go before Cosford!  :rolleyes:

[The reason why there's two sets of roundel decals is I got the colour wrong for the first set.  >:(]

Regards
Kit

lancer

Hi Kit,
High praise coming from one so talanted. Sadly, she no longer exists, it was destroyed a few years ago. It would have been great to put all the together. Actually, let me source another Camberra and I'll re build her and perhaps we can then do the display!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

PR19_Kit

Lance,

Talented? Me? No, I'm just warped with a very vivid imagination.  ;D :lol:

A pity your Sea Canberra has shuffled off, they would have made a great trio. I hope you can find another Can, but 1/72 ones are thin on the ground just now, new ones anyway, apart from the Xtrakit PR9. That's a nice model, but is quite expensive and as a PR9 rather limiting in what you can do with it. There seems to be a lot more Can kits on the way though. :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

I am really liking where this is going Kit :thumbsup:
And your sea canberra is brilliant Lance, both of these aircraft have given me some more scope to do more to my (P) B-57.
Marvellous :bow: :bow:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Captain Canada

wow, that is absolutely beautiful.......

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 04, 2009, 05:50:55 AM
I hope you can find another Can, but 1/72 ones are thin on the ground just now, new ones anyway, apart from the Xtrakit PR9. That's a nice model, but is quite expensive and as a PR9 rather limiting in what you can do with it. There seems to be a lot more Can kits on the way though. :)

Yep! the Airfix club newsletter says there's a 1/72 PR.9 to be released soon.  I would hazard a guess it's similar to the XtraKit one.