Canberra MR23

Started by PR19_Kit, February 16, 2009, 02:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Very well done Kit, like it very much- and seems very much in the British tradition of never giving the nav a decent window!  Coal hole indeed. 

Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Mossie

Lovely job & very smart scheme, love the go-faster stripe especially! :party:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on April 07, 2009, 06:25:45 AM
Very well done Kit, like it very much- and seems very much in the British tradition of never giving the nav a decent window!  Coal hole indeed. 

Dave,

Hehehe, very true. It occurs to me I didn't give him ANY windows at all! I think a piece of black decal is called for, but not too large of course. :)

Mossie,

I think that goes back to my Dad's time with 47 and 24 Sqdns, and Transport Command always had them, but with lightning zig zags at the front. I tried that on the MR23 but it was a tad too fussy. Coastal Command seemed to use them on their special schemes sometimes and it worked for me on the MR23.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

I seem to recall an early Nimrod MR.1 with a stripe of some kind, but I might be mistaken.  Definitely adds a bit of interest.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Dave

It was assumed that he knew where he was - the pilot on the other hand  :wacko:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

RLBH

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 08, 2009, 08:12:31 AM

Dave

There is a rather amusing passage in the Aerofax Vulcan book, by a former Vulcan crewman (possibly a navigator), to the effect that he surmised it was some form of sport. The navigator had no outside reference, and was expected to announce periodically where he thought the aircraft was, upon which the pilot would award marks out of ten. The sport being all the finer in the V-bombers, as the navigator was facing backwards.

NARSES2

Quote from: RLBH on April 08, 2009, 03:46:03 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 08, 2009, 08:12:31 AM

Dave

There is a rather amusing passage in the Aerofax Vulcan book, by a former Vulcan crewman (possibly a navigator), to the effect that he surmised it was some form of sport. The navigator had no outside reference, and was expected to announce periodically where he thought the aircraft was, upon which the pilot would award marks out of ten. The sport being all the finer in the V-bombers, as the navigator was facing backwards.

That sounds about right, type of thing Public School chaps would do  ;D If I was the Nav I'd sit there going "are we there yet ?" in a childish howl  ;D

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Having seen Kit's creation in the flesh last weekend, I can confirm that it really is as good as it looks in these pics. Great work, Sir....... Now about that four engined Meteor we were talking about......  :wacko:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

nev

Brilliantly conceived & executed.  Given the multitide of variants and colour schemes, you could probably fool a few people with this one :D
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Martin H

Quote from: nev on April 09, 2009, 05:15:08 AM
Brilliantly conceived & executed.  Given the multitide of variants and colour schemes, you could probably fool a few people with this one :D

Ohhh dear here we go again LOL
And what unsuspecting museum is going to get lumbered this time?
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

JayBee

Quote from: Martin H on April 09, 2009, 11:04:37 AM
Quote from: nev on April 09, 2009, 05:15:08 AM

Ohhh dear here we go again LOL
And what unsuspecting museum is going to get lumbered this time?

Might I nominate the Royal Museum of Scotland's Aeronautical collection at East Fortune.

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Nonononono, the MR23 is STILL in service, read the last lines of the back story.

Or better yet, next time you're up near Campbeltown, as RAF Macrihanish is now called, go and take a look. Jim will know anyway, he probably clears their flight plans........... ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

RAF Macrihanish eh?  only went there once...in a 32sqn Andover out of Northolt as a 14 year old cadet.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.