Canberra MR23

Started by PR19_Kit, February 16, 2009, 02:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I've had this buzzing around in my head for a while, and meeting Bex and seeing his terrific Canberra MSR17 at Milton Keynes crystalised some of my thoughts along these lines. See here for Bex's MSR17 :-

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,22104.0.html

The RAF are running short of servicable Nimrod MR2s, and the MRA4 is still light years away so they need a stop gap. In time honoured fashion they chose a Canberra again, and the newest ones about are PR9s, plus they have big engines and big wings and all sorts of good things, but no radar or weapons.

So the solution is to move the Nav out of his 'coal hole' in the front and put him back where the original navs were, astern and to one side of the pilot, but the weapons bay needs to be deeper so they raise him up a bit and thus he needs a slight bulge in the fuselage top, just like a Sea Vixen.

They put a biggish radar set in the nose and cover it with a T11 radome, that's the pointy conical one. (Thanks for the Rayhex conversion 'kitnut617' ;)) It may need a few external cable runs, like the T17, too......

As it's an anti-sub platform it needs a MAD stinger, which looks JUST like a smaller version of the one on a P2V-7 Neptune, and the starboard wingtip tank has a searchlight in its nose too, also just like a Neptune.

All this detection business is OK, but the MariCam needs something to sink subs with, so as well as the clutch of Mk. 46 torpedoes in the forward bomb bay, it has a Sea Eagle slung under each wing. That should even take care of a Kirov if it gets too nosey.

And for smaller fry the RAF dig out their store of B(I)8 gun packs and put them back in the rear bomb bay, where the big cameras used to be.

Give it a coat of hemp and grey and voila, 206 Squadron lives again.

I've sorted all the plastic bits for it this evening, just need my health to return to normal and I can add this to the other 2-3 brainwaves I have running at the moment.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

lancer

Wow, looking forward to this one.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Zeke

Sounds like fun...so when does this project begin? Hope you're feeling up to it soon...:)
It's a big, wide world out there...so if it's all the same to you I'll just stay indoors!

PR19_Kit

I'm doing small bits and pieces now, like the tip tanks and bomb bay mods etc. but I can't sit on my modelling stool for long (done 'orrible things to my shoulder blade....) so it has to be in short bursts.

I'll post a pic or two when the fuselage is knocked together, everyone knows what Cranberry wings look like anyway :)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Things have improved with my state of health so I'm getting more time at the modelling bench, and the MR23 is moving on a pace. Fuselage is roughly together, radome and MAD probe added, bomb bay is reversed (the Matchbox one has its open doors at the back and mine are at the front) the Nav's hatch cover is fitted and I've added some of the C Scale white metal bits.

I managed to get the gun pack skewed :( so it had to come off again, what a pain THAT was! Built the Mk 46 torpedo and a matching Sea Skua to go in the bomb bay and one Sea Eagle is on the way. Tip tank modified but I need to build a searchlight to go inside before fitting it to the wngs. On which subject, I've got the wings together, as well as the ridiculous engine intakes and exhausts that Matchbox make. I'll need about 2 lbs. of putty to get them  sorted, that's for sure.

Top View showing radome etc.

MAD stinger and Nav's escape panel etc.

Underside showing bomb bay mods and gun pack

Lots more puttying to do (This is a Matchbox originally of course.......) and still haven't quite decided on the colour scheme. I'd like the early White top and Grey underside scheme but I can't see it fitting the historical background. :(

I may fit it with an FR probe, a la Buccaneer perhaps. The Nav is sitting in what used to be a fuel tank on the original PR9 fuselage because the radar is where he used to sit, so IFR would improve the range again.

Regards
Kit

Daryl J.

Y'know, you can just do that sort of stuff to the Canberra can't you.   The Brits are really on to something with their design aesthetics.   It is beautiful and quirky at the same time, someone can do a radical modification like this and it's still beautiful and quirky.   Try that with a -109 or F-106 or Dinah, all good looking aircraft in their own right, and it won't work as well.

This is very cool to see.

Daryl J.

kitnut617

I like it Kit, and can't wait to see the finished result plus it's not to far off an original that it is very plausable   :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Robert,

The whole project owes thanks to you and your T11 nosecone, the combined forces of Canadian and British postal services, and the UK Customs, who ignored the potential financial threat of importing Canberra nose cones at this delicate time.  :cheers:

Regards
Kit

Brian da Basher

I really like the new cockpit placement, MAD boom and pointy nose! This one's gonna be fun to watch!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

PR19_Kit

Thank you Daryl and Brian,

Sorry I couldn't fit in any spats anywhere Brian, you'll just have to imagine them :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

It doesn't look as if I have, but I've done a lot of work on the MR23. There's tons of putty work on here, as I mentioned before, and goodness knows how many rubbing down sessions, one my most hated aspects of modelling. But the wings and tail planes are now attached and puttied in, the engines have been puttied about 5 times, the MAD stinger is now smoothed and looks pretty neat. I've added nose intakes for the cooling group for all that radar power and the airframe has been fitted with the rare Canberra 4 pylon fit wing (and it really is possible....) I've left the tip tanks off for now, as the nest step is paint and I don't want them in the way.

Sadly I've found there isn't enough nose weight installed so tomorrow it's off to the local fishing shop for some small shot to pour in through the cockpit opening. I'm glad I haven't installed the seat yet!

Rapid progress now, so watch this space......

Regards
Kit

sideshowbob9

Love the concept and the execution. As said above, you can re-role a Canberra for pretty much anything and she'll still just look right.

Wish my puttying was as good.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on March 31, 2009, 05:18:11 AM
Wish my puttying was as good.

Not sure it's that good, just done to the limit!  :lol:

All you need is the emery paper, water and time. And more time. And MORE time!

Being retired I've got lots of that at the moment. I must say that this model has taken me through the catalogue of various putties, no doubt there's a thread on it here somewhere, but if not there outght to be.

Regards
Kit

lancer

apologies for the interruption, but MODERATORS, is there any way to get the pictures and write up of my Sea Canberra from the old site???
I think it might be of interest with the current maritime Canberras being built etc!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die