A F-104 with a Rocket Booster (NF-104's evolution)

Started by G.Marcat, February 17, 2009, 01:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.Marcat

Hello, I'm here with another variation to the F-104: 's theme

(the scale is 1/48, the base model is the Monogram's F-104G)

OK: Do You remember the Nasa's NF-104?

The my idea is that the experiments made from the NASA on the NF-104 could have bring to an operative version of the F-104 with the regular J-79 engine assisted from a rocket engine for climb and combat's super-performances.
To add more difficulty in the conversion I thought to add a second canopy but using the layout used from Lockheed in the U-2 trainer and in the SR-71 Trainer....

This is a my preliminary sketch:

And this is the project as is today:

CAUTION... the model is hold together with tape and blu tack..... I'm working in the two sections front & rear separately because it's more confortably to do this.

Wide wings:

A closer view to the rocket pack:

The rocket pack view from the rear:

Front fuselage stretching to accomodate the second canopy:

The front section with the hole made to accomodate the second pilot:

The rear portion of the fuselage with the added section (all pieces taken from the ESCI's F-104 used to do the F-104 Short):
( http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,21881.0/ )

The resin nose is taken from a Spinner's CHEETAH C.
The rocket pack is made at center with two  F-16's wings tanks and with the central tank ever from F-16 glued to the sides.
The front part of the rocket pack is made from a strange shaped pod sold together with the British Phantoms from REVELL/Hasegawa.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: G.Marcat on February 17, 2009, 01:48:28 PM
The front part of the rocket pack is made from a strange shaped pod sold together with the British Phantoms from REVELL/Hasegawa.

That's the EMI recce pod they developed for the UK Phantom, the Matchbox Phantom included it as well.

A wierd shape it surely is, but very handy for whiffing. :)

Looks like you're in for one BIG putty session there........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Rafael

Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

John Howling Mouse

Really wild bashin' going on at your place.  Love it!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

cthulhu77

Zeke

Coolorama!...the F104 is just awesome for messing about with isn't it?...looking forward to seeing more of this.
It's a big, wide world out there...so if it's all the same to you I'll just stay indoors!

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

G.Marcat

Update:
Two days ago I glued the wings and the enlarged horizontal stabilizator to the fuselage.

This is the horizontal stabilizator enlarged: this operation was done by me bacause, since that the model is now a lot bigger than the original, the original horiz. stab. look too much small in proportion.

Same matter on the wings, I have enlarged them otherwise the original wings would have look too small if compared to the big fuselage.
The wings have obliged me to work a lot: The my choice of to enlarge the original wings adding strips inside is a bad choice because is necessary to use a lot of putty plus there are some alignment issues.
Prior to install the wings I added to them a locator strip to be sure to have a positive connection between fuselage and wings.

For the interiors I have used two seats from the Monogram's F-104s and a homemade rear istrument panel made with the punch & die.

(honestly this effort was excessive.... in the finished F-104 the dashboard will be practically INVISIBLE but I would to do some practice with high end modelling)

Prior of to intall the canopy I glued the interiors to the rear pilot compartment:

Here there are two works done:
First, I changed the shape of the front part of the rocket compartment: originally the piece was too squared for the my tastes so I add a pair of 1/72 Phantom's underbelly tanks to the sides of the original fairing. The result do not satisfy me but now it's too late to change idea.

SECOND, I glued the canopy to the fuselage.

Now the worst part: to make a flush fairing that connect the clear canopy to the fuselage:

MILLIPUT DISASTER: the Milliput applied on the fairing NEVER DRIES: the second day I take it away using and old toothbrush.

Instead of Milliput I turned to seals the holes with Super Glue hardened with accelerator, that choice was successfull.

During the sanding process I ruined the transaprent canopy but thank to the MASTER CASTERS polishing sponges I solved this mistake with success.

Actually I'm using putty to smooth the wings to fuselage joints.
At this point the good part of the work is done.

Here are two missiles I will install (maybe...) on the my F-104:
a SIDE-SPARROW (half Sparrow, half Sidewinder) and a Matra 530 wit some modifications:

This is all.

sotoolslinger

That is spectacular :wub: :thumbsup: I cannot wait to see her painted up. :party:
I amuse me.

G.Marcat

In the past week replaced the resin nose (Concorde Style) with a more simpler nose then added a fairing inspired from the unit installed in the early Phantoms:

Yesterday the kit has been primered with Mr Surfacer 1200 airbrushed:

more news as possible.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.

G.Marcat

Update:

after 3 hands of Mr Surfacer sprayed with the airbrush and some sessions of careful sanding, I finally feel myself ready to try the Natural Metal Finish.... And as foresee even the micon size imperfections in the surface have appeared.

However, this is the result of today's first layer of HUMBROL 11 (silver) mixed at 1 to 4 ratio with the Humbrol's Gloss Cote:

tigercat2

Excellent concept and it looks like you have done a great deal of work.  One question, however, why not use a 2 seat F-104 to begin with?

Wes W.