A F-104 with a Rocket Booster (NF-104's evolution)

Started by G.Marcat, February 17, 2009, 01:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.Marcat

Quote from: tigercat2 on May 24, 2009, 02:31:06 PM
One question, however, why not use a 2 seat F-104 to begin with?

The more prevalent reason is because I was interested to obtain a completely different subject from a common TF-104, so the raised second cockpit as used from Russians and in the SR-71B looked like an interesting concept at the my eyes:

tigercat2

What has become of this F-104 project?  Is it done?

Wes W.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

G.Marcat

Quote from: tigercat2 on June 12, 2009, 12:32:14 PM
What has become of this F-104 project?  Is it done?
Wes W.

NOT sorry!!!
It is currently waiting: as usual I'm having problems painting the kits ...

I'm working on the Crusader-Hornet mix :

>>>> look here: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,24287.15.html

G.Marcat

Quote from: tigercat2 on June 12, 2009, 12:32:14 PM
What has become of this F-104 project?  Is it done? Wes W.

As I get near a my kit with the paints the DISASTER is ready  behind the angle.

This time the victim of the my paint's alchemy is the F-104 Rocket.

This is the current status of the kit:

YES... I have stripped away the paint from it.

After one month from the painting the varnish have NEVER DRY, at today I was unable to touch the kit, the my fingers still stick to the paint.
The my test sauce of Humbrol Gloss Cote plus Humbrol 11 (Silver) have turned in something of very lethal.

Today finally I have removed the paint.

sotoolslinger

GM go to a hardware store and look for a product called Japan Dry. Mix it with your paint to accelerate drying with enamels.
Or just use Laquer thinner instead of paint thinner and put the paint on thinner with more coats.
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

G.Marcat

In the recent days I have repainted the NF-104:

This time I have used a "chrome effect" spray paint can purchased in the "house works" of a regular supermarket and the model have now an unreal ultra bright finish.

Yestreday finally applied the decals from the original Monogram box from the 80's

But this is NOT the result that I have in mind of to reach.

More work will follow.

tigercat2

For a natural metal finish, I have found a very inexpensive way to get a pretty good effect; I use Testors silver in a spay can (over a base coat of Testors flat white), then after it is dry (it dries in less than an hour), I use a product called Rub'nBuff; it is a paste-like substance found in craft stores. 

Wes W.

G.Marcat

Quote from: tigercat2 on July 22, 2009, 11:22:49 AM
For a natural metal finish, I have found a very inexpensive way to get a pretty good effect; I use Testors silver in a spay can (over a base coat of Testors flat white), then after it is dry (it dries in less than an hour), I use a product called Rub'nBuff; it is a paste-like substance found in craft stores. 

Wes W.

I think that I am victim of the my continuous changes of ideas. I have purchased for this F-104 a bottle of Alclad Alluminium as I have already tested this paint and I feel comfortable using it: as usual I have renounced to the Alclad opting for the ultrachrome obtained from  that paint never tested before....

G.Marcat

Yesterday I bring to term the painting on the F-104 Rocket as I have in mind from the beginning.

This is the photo that have inspired me: a Phantom used in the early days of the Vietnam war with the camo stressed that reveal the underside's original paint and markings!
(Look here: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal3/2301-2400/Gal2386_F-4C_Roberts/00.shtm at the work done from Darren Roberts)

The result achieved from me is here.

I do not like as it's come out ( ) because the black paint hide too much the shape of the modified F-104.

This is the top coat of Gunze's Flat Black. It was sprayed over a layer of HAIR SPRAY to let the black come away brushing it with a wet brush (water).

And here there are some views  of the F-104 with the paint flown away thus revealing the underside chromed original paint and decals:

Comparations:

At this point I'm unsure if to finish the F-104 in this way or if to repaint (This would be the second time that this happen)

tigercat2

I think you have the "extreme weathering" done very well.

Wes W.

G.Marcat

;D OK, finally I'm able to show the TF-104R FINISHED. :thumbsup:

As said in the my last post dated July 31 I was completely unsatisfied of how the Rocketized TF-104 was became after the experiment with the "heavily faded finish".

SO, for the second time I  stripped away the black and chrome paint layers  from the TF-104R.

During this process the nose have collapsed... so I finally replaced it with a almost regular F-104 radome.

Then I decide to left apart every too much exotic camouflage.

And here shown today there is the final result: a kit finished in ISRAELI camo and markings.

Ed S

Spectacular recovery.  The final product turned out excellent.   :thumbsup:

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Sisko

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Modelling_Mushi

Alot of work with the repaints but well worth it, the IDF paint job was an unepected (and pleasant) surprise. Well done  :thumbsup:
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio