A Model

Started by Green Dragon, February 18, 2009, 05:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

The only one I've built was a MiG-9 (for a whiff) and it was pretty bad, but by no means unbuildable. I got the impression that the kit designer had really put some effort it (full intake ducting and engine faces on a 1/72nd kit?), but been let down by crappy production techniques. I understand that later offerings are better.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Quote from: rickshaw on July 23, 2010, 09:20:57 PM
I'm considering some of their kits.  Are they really as bad as many here are making out?  They're the only ones who some of the more interesting Soviet models so they seem the only game in town for those ones.

I think it depends on what yardstick you're using as a comparison, if it's Tamigawa then you could judge them as bad but IMHO a bad kit is one where the parts are so twisted and/or deformed that trying to get the bits to fit is a nightmare.  I've a few A Model kits, the smallest is the Yak-130 which doesn't look too bad, the sprue gates are a little heavy and there's a bit of flash to clean off but none of the parts are deformed. Neither is the MIL-26, there's no line up pins but that's not a big issue.  The 1/72 An-22 will be a challenge, but mainly because the main bits are hand laid fibreglass which I've not worked with before, I'm not expecting it to be a 'shake-and-bake' --- the important bit to me is the parts are not deformed so it should go together fairly well.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Wooksta!

Their Vampires are little beauties, but I've yet to cut bits off sprues.

At a guess, I'd say they're at the stage where MPM were in 1997ish.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Weaver

The MiG-9 didn't have any deformed bits, but it was a little undershot in places (nothing iredeemable). I had to put pins in the tailplanes to get them to sit flat because the lugs were too shallow and too loose.

To be honest, I had FAR more trouble with that endlessly-badge-engineered TS-11 Iskra, which looks lovely in the box but is a nightmare to build, with a seriously twisted tailboom, misaligned alignment pins and unrecoverably bad fit in places.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

redstar72

Look WHAT can be built from AModel kit! (The author of this model is a good friend of mine!)
http://www.dishmodels.ru/gshow.htm?p=6998&lng=E

Best regards,
Soviet Aviation enthusiast

chrisonord

I have built the A model Yak 130, it did need quite a bit of work doing to it especially on the wing joins and under the canopy, it took a lot of work to get the canopy to fit properly, and the wing joins needed a lot of putty. The weapons and pylons needed a lot of cleaning up and reshaping also as they were crap. Saying that with a bit of patience and time the kit did come out ok. Just don't do one for a one week group build  ;D
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on July 23, 2010, 09:20:57 PM
I'm considering some of their kits.  Are they really as bad as many here are making out?  They're the only ones who some of the more interesting Soviet models so they seem the only game in town for those ones.

The early ones in particular can be a bit of a struggle. The more recent ones are nice, especially the IAR 80/81's and Vampires.

They need work but it all comes down to "do you want a model of that particular aircraft enough" ? If you do then you take your time and you end up with a nice representation of the subject, if you don't then you will probably not finish it. Unfortunately most of the interesting Soviet stuff is early but they are in no way unbuildable
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Quote from: redstar72 on July 24, 2010, 02:06:29 PM
Look WHAT can be built from AModel kit! (The author of this model is a good friend of mine!)

WOW :o
This is amazing  :bow: :bow: :bow: I look on Dishmodels alot, but not yet seen this, very impressive work.
Chris.   
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

I've almost built the A Model Rutan Voyager.....

It's been 'almost built' for about 3 years now, mainly because the landing gear is nowehere near strong enough to hold it off the ground if you ballast it enough to stand level.  :banghead:

If I could locate some metal legs and wheels I'd be a lot happier, but the darn things are like spindles, ridiculously thin.

A Model couldn't decide what day they modelled the aircraft on either. The Voyager never made two flights in the same condition, almost everything was changed from the first flight to the final round-the-world flight and checking on the details is a real nightmare. I still have to find/build the correct prop for the rear engine as I'm modelling just before take-off on the record flight.

As a kit it goes together quite well, but the decals fell apart before I used them. Luckily I they were OK enough to scan and copy.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nev

Quote from: redstar72 on July 24, 2010, 02:06:29 PM

I think that's more a compliment to the skills of your friend than the quality of the AModel kit - I suspect that is not OOB ;)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

redstar72

AModel issued some new releases! And there are some unexpected ones - three versions of DH-60 Moth in 1/48 scale:

And both versions of the Il-40 Brawny are also in stock:

Best regards,

Geoff

Oh I will have to get an Il-40, but I am not sure which version. Am I right in thinking the one with the longer intakes is the later one?

I am currently doing one of their Yak-9Ps. It needs a bit of work but basically it fits togeather. The biggest problem I have found is the thickness of the parts.

Mossie

Quote from: Geoff on September 05, 2010, 10:21:44 AM
Oh I will have to get an Il-40, but I am not sure which version. Am I right in thinking the one with the longer intakes is the later one?

Yeah, the intakes were extended & the guns relocated under the nose to prevent flame out due to hot gas ingestion.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

redstar72

The version with short intakes is the first prototype (1953). The aircraft with extended intakes is the second prototype (1955), also called Il-40P.
See more here: http://www.airwar.ru/enc/attack/il40.html.
Best regards,

Geoff