A Model

Started by Green Dragon, February 18, 2009, 05:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I have priced one of these kits up with Ivan at models Ua, and he can do one for just over $38 U.S, plus $15 postage.
Quite a bit better than Hannants price. This price does include my discount too.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Captain Canada

Love the look of it from that angle. It's an AC I know little about, but now I want one. 144th sounds a little more obtainable tho  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Is there enough putty to build an A Model kit that size?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on August 10, 2016, 03:58:13 AM

I've just got their IAR-80 (I have 3 different boxings) out of the stash and put it in the next up pile. An aircraft I've always liked and I've heard good things about the kit, we shall see.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

I have just built the Yak "Mantis" in 1/72nd scale and it went together pretty well, only a little bit of putty was needed along the spine and the engine exhaust. Not bad considering how much the BE 200 has needed so far.
Chris.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 10, 2016, 07:39:36 AM
Quote from: zenrat on August 10, 2016, 03:58:13 AM

I've just got their IAR-80 (I have 3 different boxings) out of the stash and put it in the next up pile. An aircraft I've always liked and I've heard good things about the kit, we shall see.
Quote from: chrisonord on August 10, 2016, 08:26:40 AM
I have just built the Yak "Mantis" in 1/72nd scale and it went together pretty well, only a little bit of putty was needed along the spine and the engine exhaust. Not bad considering how much the BE 200 has needed so far.
Chris.

Glad to hear.  I love their subjects but hate the feeling of disappointment you get when you open them up and test fit some parts.  If only they could get their act together and consistently make good kits.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

For sure. They have so many cool subjects and so many 'wants' but too many 'maybe nots' lol

:unsure:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

My own view is that you have to treat A Model kits that were tooled until quite recently in a similar way to Unicraft kits. They are no way even half way down that path, but as long as you take your time and do a little at a time so you don't get frustrated they are o.k. As you say they have some great subjects so in the end they are worth it. I always build a couple of "fall together" type kits at the same time (same when I'm tempted by Unicraft) and that helps.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Narses, is absolutely right. They are worth doing for sure, just take your tmie with them, and to be honest, the Mantis wasn't too bad a build, I have built trickier mainstream kits before now, and still am. I love Russian stuff, and especially their military flying boats, and early jet fighter/bombers. So to me they are more than worth buying and building.
Chris

KiwiZac

I did AModel's 1/72 Yak-18 and I don't think I used any filler. Your experience may vary :-)
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

king of men

One of my particular niches is 1:72 commercial aircraft, so AModel has been very good to me. In the middle of a Beech Starship at present. Not putty free, but not that bad. The worst aspect of most AModel kits is the myriad of micro parts that don't want to separate from the sprue and usually look like something... else... once they are separate. But I love em for their kit choices.
All hail 1:72!
Visit the blog at http://72land.blogspot.com/
Visit 72 Scale Aircraft forum at http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/index.php

NARSES2

Quote from: king of men on August 11, 2016, 10:46:44 PM
The worst aspect of most AModel kits is the myriad of micro parts that don't want to separate from the sprue and usually look like something... else... once they are separate. But I love em for their kit choices.

Absolutely, that and the size of the sprue gates. Mind you it's no difference to the likes of Special Hobby 5 years ago and many other limited run boys now. The big plus is that they are getting better. I've been told that they have a relatively small maximum mould size which means they have to have a larger parts breakdown then others sometimes.

PR19_Kit

....and probably the reason why their REALLY big models have fibreglass fuselages etc.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

thesolitarycyclist

Does A model have a website? Tried but not found one.

chrisonord

Quote from: thesolitarycyclist on August 13, 2016, 02:14:14 PM
Does A model have a website? Tried but not found one.
Is there anything you are specifically looking for ?
Chris.