Main Menu

Display team GB

Started by Weaver, February 19, 2009, 02:14:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Greg, maybe two D&B Pigs in green & gold?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Quote from: GTX on February 21, 2009, 09:51:41 AM
Quote from: Weaver on February 20, 2009, 05:53:37 AM
Now there's a though - an aerobatic refuelling display......... ;D

Been there, seen that - a few years ago I was at an Airshow where a number of Aircraft (Il-78/Su-27 and 2 A-4s (buddy tanking) + others if I remember correctly) did AAR displays for the crowd.

Regards,

Greg

Yeah, but I bet they wern't doing loops at the time..... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Here's a thought: the An-72 can put on surprisingly sprightly performance (with no cargo and a light fuel load, of course): how about a Ukrainian or Antonov-sponsored 4-ship display team?  They could even finish the routine off with a parachute drop for an encore...... ;D

There are 1/144th and 1/288th models around, for those with small houses......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

lancer

Quote from: Weaver on February 21, 2009, 08:07:36 PM
Here's a thought: the An-72 can put on surprisingly sprightly performance (with no cargo and a light fuel load, of course): how about a Ukrainian or Antonov-sponsored 4-ship display team?  They could even finish the routine off with a parachute drop for an encore...... ;D

If you're gonna do it do it in 1:72 scale!!! Hell, I would be willing to do this!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Weaver

Quote from: lancer on February 22, 2009, 05:08:29 AM
Quote from: Weaver on February 21, 2009, 08:07:36 PM

If you're gonna do it do it in 1:72 scale!!! Hell, I would be willing to do this!!

Dunno about the states, but the 1/72nd Eastern Express ones are thin on the ground in the UK. I got one, but only after much searching and several failures.

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

If your just after something big & Soviet, Roden do three versions of the An-12 in 1/72.  Don't bother with Hannants, they're about fifteen quid dearer than everyone else.
http://www.modelsforsale.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=An-12+1%2F72&x=0&y=0
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Aircav

You'll also need a lot of filler for the An-72  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

nev

Pretty sure there is a Roden An-72 in my LHS, I was thinking of picking it up and doing it as US Army at one point.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

puddingwrestler

Here at last; pictures of the Slothettes!

San Torta managed to aquire the SARO flyingboat fighter prototypes when the brits gave up on them, and put thier aerobatic abilities to good use by issuing them to the newly formed Slothettes all-girl aerobatic and synchronised swimming display team, led by Coronel Juacinta De Crema-Batida (pictured in ther uniform Bikini). This image comes from a popular San Tortan postcard sold at all Sothette displays. It features hand tinted colour imagery of the early Slothette llivery (later versions included deep green outlines of the scallops, and scalloping along the wing leading edges; Coronel De Crema-Batida's machine was later re-painted in red with silver stripes).

Now, where can I get a kit of this beauty? (And where can I get a kit of the SARO?)
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

DaFROG

nice one with the post card :cheers:

the SARO is pretty cool. The designers obviously had my younger self in mind when they thought it up as its the only aircraft that can be reasonably accuratel represented by getting an oppened empty milk carton and attaching flying surfaces. as an added bonus the model will then float, ahh endless hours of enjoyment ;D ;D

On the subject of display teams a airliner/heavy lift team would be awesome. I think most airliners are theoretically capable of barrel rolls (theres a 707 doing one on youtube and apparently its been done in a concord as well). but other manuvers would be cool to if possible, all concord display team anyone? theres a few of them knocking about unused after all :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: such a team would no doubt be sponsered by some e><tr33m product or other, scarlet sloth energy drink, or DaFROG'S racing bread perhaps

sideshowbob9

I have a Red Pelican Jaguar T.2 on the back burner. Would that count?

Altough compared to the Slothettes, it sounds positively mediocre  :o

Spey_Phantom

i am feeling the urge to build a Belgian "Red devils" Ajet or F-16, as a replacement to the Fouga magisters  :mellow:
or perhaps something a bit plausible, like a red arrows Hawk T.2 (italeri or airfix hawk 100)  :wacko:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Ed S

Quote from: DaFROG on May 09, 2009, 12:48:59 AM
On the subject of display teams a airliner/heavy lift team would be awesome. I think most airliners are theoretically capable of barrel rolls (theres a 707 doing one on youtube and apparently its been done in a concord as well). but other manuvers would be cool to if possible, all concord display team anyone? theres a few of them knocking about unused after all :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: such a team would no doubt be sponsered by some e><tr33m product or other, scarlet sloth energy drink, or DaFROG'S racing bread perhaps

Back in the late 50's early 60's the USAF had display team called The Four Horsemen" flying the new C-130's in formation.  Although I don't think they ever did any full rolling manuvers.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Daryl J.

Since Pepsi Natural uses the superior cane sugar recipe maybe they could sponsor a Latin American aerial team flying AMX's.   

Mossie

Quote from: DaFROG on May 09, 2009, 12:48:59 AM

Concorde can barrell roll, ever seen Airport '80 (also known as Airport '79)??? :lol: :lol: :lol:  If the rest of the Airport series are bad, that one's the icing on the cake!!! ;D ;D ;D