Heinkel He 70

Started by Radish, February 20, 2009, 09:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Quote from: Mossie on February 22, 2009, 08:58:50 AM
Always thought the He-70 was a case of nice body, shame about the face.  The BMW VI just spoilt the looks, the Hungarian radial engined versions looked a little better.  A nice sleek nose would do it some good.

Ya mean like the Kestrel engined R-R test aircraft?

Change the BMW from direct drive to a geared final drive that raises the thrustline
and you can have an upper cowl line similar to Merlin or Hispano 12 powered aircraft.

Jon

Mossie

Thank you Jon, I've been after a pic of that for some time!  I'd seen a supposed profile of the Kestrel powered aircraft, but it was just a standard He-70.  Thought it might look better, much prettier!

It mentions a Peregrine in that pic, one I never knew about.  Do you have a pic of that one?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Radish

It looks lovely don't it :wub: :wub:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

jcf

How about a turret along the lines of the Mauser-designed turret fitted to the FW 57?
Which was one the few mid-30s German designs to use a power turret.

Jon

Sisko

I have always like the idea of them being employed by the Kreigsmarine on their carriers as long range torpedo bombers
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

jcf

One thing to bear in mind about proposed He 70 developments;
if you are going to up the load/performance you'll want to have it re-winged.
After looking through some other reference material I've confirmed that the wings
and empennage were all wood. The wings were two-spar with built-up box spars
of spruce and ply, the ribs were also spruce and ply. Ditto the empennage.

The original He 112 design (early V-(_) and the A model) was sort of a scaled down
all metal version of the He 70 - although originally with a semi-elliptical rather than
elliptical wing, so a metal wing for the He 70 is a possibility for a whif.

The single He 270 built was just an old 'F' airframe re-engined with a DB 601,
neither the Luftwaffe nor Lufthansa were interested.

Maybe a fictional 'production' 270 with a metal wing and DB 601 or Jumo 210?
Depending on the whiffer's personal universe perhaps it is offered to foreign
buyers with their choice of V-12, maybe a Hispano-Suiza 12Y, R-R- Kestrel,
or...?

Jon

Radish

Great stuff.
Having filled, sanded, filled and re-sanded the fuselage, I've had a good go on the wing/fuselage joint which is really exceptionally bad. I've thought long and hard about it, and I reckon after this one, my future builds will have the entire "face" of the wing excavated so it can be "squigged" into place with glue. I'll try it anyway.

But I LOVE the floatplane one!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Mossie

So I guess it's worth paying the extra tenner for the ICM kit to avoid the aggro?  Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with it Terry!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Radish

Perseverence, that's all that's needed, along with a good supply of filler.

Gunbird

I'm intending to build one in a canard configuration, but would she look better with the inline or with the radial in such a guise?