Shorts Choco GR.1

Started by kitnut617, February 21, 2009, 02:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

I like this!

The durandal anti-cave weapon sounds like a good idea  - similar to the American "Deep Throat" bunker buster.  I forget the exact designation, but its an LGB with an extended, concrete filled nose designed to penetrate like an AP round before detonating.  Feel free to google Deep Throat to find out more - I ain't doing it with the family sat round!

Your targeting pod (TIALD?) looks too big for the plane - is it 1/48?  Might want to try a 1/72 one, and the Sniper pod seem to be the pod de juer in 2009.

Lastly, I would add some cannon bulges to the upper wing - it would look cooler and those big ole guns might be a tight fit in those lil ole wings ;)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

kitnut617

Quote from: nev on February 24, 2009, 08:49:54 AM
I like this!

The durandal anti-cave weapon sounds like a good idea  - similar to the American "Deep Throat" bunker buster.  I forget the exact designation, but its an LGB with an extended, concrete filled nose designed to penetrate like an AP round before detonating.  Feel free to google Deep Throat to find out more - I ain't doing it with the family sat round!

Your targeting pod (TIALD?) looks too big for the plane - is it 1/48?  Might want to try a 1/72 one, and the Sniper pod seem to be the pod de juer in 2009.

Lastly, I would add some cannon bulges to the upper wing - it would look cooler and those big ole guns might be a tight fit in those lil ole wings ;)

hey Nev,   thanks for that, the targeting pod comes of a 1/72 Hasegawa F-15E but what does the Sniper pod look like, I might have one in the spares box or stash.  Gun bulges sound good, do you know where I can get some photos of the P-51 which had cannon especially views of the top of the wing, these cannon I'm using come from the Italeri 1/72 Mustang Mk.1 kit and I don't remember if there were any bulges on it.  As I said earlier these Tucano wings are very similar to the P-51 wing, right down the the same size and shape.  I'll hook a P-51 out and do a direct comparison if I can find one in the stash but even the Tucano main wheels and u/c legs could have come right off a Mustang

Cheers,
Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

I found an Italeri Mustang Mk.I and a High Planes P-51H and comparing the wings, the Tucano'a are not quite the same size, very, very close though.

1st pic is compared to the Mustang Mk.I, 2nd is the P-51H and the last is of the u/c, the grey parts are the Tucano u/c, the white metal and light blue wheel are from the P-51H kit and the green wheel from the Mustang Mk.I

The outline of the wings are practically spot on but the Mustang wings are a little thicker so Nev is right, some bulges are in order (can anyone tell me where [or how] the cannon breaches are in a P-51) , the P-51H and Tucano wheels are practically the same size and the legth of the u/c legs is obvious but they are similar.

Mossie

Love this Robert, I've sometimes seen some Tucanos over York Uni in Vic formation & I've thought about painting one up in early WWII RAF colours.

Here's a good pic of a Mustang with cannon:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

That's a great photo Simon, really shows that it didn't have bulges.  But I think my Choco will have to have them as Nev suggested because the Tucano wing is quite a bit thinner when I measure the two kits wings with my vernier.

nev

It needs them for the coolness factor as well ;)

As for SNIPER pod, check out the Typhoon centeline

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mossie

Thats a Litening Pod Nev, there's a Sniper on a Harrier GR.9 in the pic below.

You could use either Robert, I think the Revell Typhoon & possibly Airfix GR.4 kits have Litening.  For Sniper, there's a resin one available from Modern Hobbies, or you could scratch one easy enough:
Modern Hobbies Resin Sniper Pod on ARC
Scratch built Sniper Pod on ARC

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

nev

I knew that *slaps forehead*

kitnut617

Thanks guys, I'll check the Tornado GR.4 kit that I have to see if it has one.

kitnut617

OK found it,

The top one is out of the Airfix GR.4 kit, it's thinner but longer, the middle one is from the Hase F15E kit, so is the bottom one.  But what is the bottom one and does it have to have the fancy pylon ?

Mossie

Robert, the top one is the TIALD pod used by the RAF (first used in the 1991 Gulf War), they're currently being upgraded.  The bottom two are both from the US LANTIRN system, middle one is the targeting pod, bottom one the navigation pod.  The TIALD is more modern & you only have to free up a single pylon.

A quick check through my stash shows that the GR.4 kits pod is definately TIALD & unfortunately there is no Litening Pod in the Revell 1/72 Tiffie.

rallymodeller

The Hase 1/48 AV-8B+ kit has the Litening pod; it even has a separate sensor head that can be positioned in the "closed" or "opened" position and moved between the two.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

kitnut617

Thanks guys,  I may just fabricate something else instead.

kitnut617

So after robbing my Lynx Mk.8 of a number of bits I was left with this little item in the photo.  It's some sort of thermal imager made by GEC-Marconi and might be a Sea Owl.  I've decided I'm going to go with this on the Choco but I've had to make a turret for it as I used the original on my CH-151 Thunderbird, but which end of the little grey bit here is the front end?

Captain Canada

Quote from: Mossie on February 24, 2009, 03:26:24 PM
Here's a good pic of a Mustang with cannon:

A good pic ? That's the best Mustang pic I've ever seen ! Thanks !

:wub:

Awesome ideas, Robert......

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?