Metallic paints?

Started by PR19_Kit, February 23, 2009, 08:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

The Humbrol Metalcote paints are meant to be polished afterwards for a more authentic look, they're rather different from ordinary 'metallic' paints like Humbrol's own aluminium, copper, gunmetal etc. colors.

PR19_Kit

I picked up a bunch of various metalics from Hobbycraft today, one Humbrol (the ONLY metallic they had....) and three Games Workshop pots with bizarre names ('Mithril Silver'?)

There's no indication on the GW pots of the type of paint, does anyone know if it's enamel or acrylic or...........? It smells 'enamel-ish' but who knows?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 25, 2009, 12:59:28 PM
I picked up a bunch of various metalics from Hobbycraft today, one Humbrol (the ONLY metallic they had....) and three Games Workshop pots with bizarre names ('Mithril Silver'?)

There's no indication on the GW pots of the type of paint, does anyone know if it's enamel or acrylic or...........? It smells 'enamel-ish' but who knows?

GW paints are a water-thinned acrylic and brush very well.

Mithril Silver is for your elves chainmail, of course.  ;D

Jon

PR19_Kit

Thanks for that Jon, now I can start looking out an elf to fly my Whiff. :)

I'll have to mod the M-B ejector seat to accomodate the chainmail flight suit of course.......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Sauragnmon

GW Paints are decently made acrylics, I've used them a lot, until I started finding Vallejo, which come in a somewhat better format for storage and long term use with their eyedropper design.

Mithril Silver is a very light metallic colour, I use it for the metal spots in searchlights, or any high-shine metals I'm using.  Of their grey metallics, it's the lightest.  Boltgun Metal, obviously, is more of a gunmetal gray.  Tin Bitz has a slightly browned tone, good for a weathered steel look if I recall.  If there's one benefit to the Games Workshop/Citadel line, they do have a nice variety in the metallics range.  Vallejo's Game Color line replicates a majority of the line, and the names are relatively similar.

One of the benefits of Vallejo and Games Workshop paints, is that they have a nice pigment level in them.  If you want to smooth it out, you can always thin with a little more water, but I find they apply quite nicely.  When I'm doing area painting, I have my #8 flat brush that I use, and with Vallejo, I find I might have to make a second application, because I go sparingly, but with my other brushes, often one application is enough.

If you want paints with seriously high pigment content, the Games Workshop Foundation Paints line is very high, you can identify the pots by their White caps in contrast to the standard black.

Another line that Vallejo produces in their Model Color line, is that they have a small line of metallic paints suspended in Alcohol base.  I'm not entirely sure of the why, but I would surmise that alcohol base would cure faster as the alcohol dissipates faster than the water base.  I'm not sure if they have any special handling instructions, as I haven't used them.  They come a little bit more expensive, as well.

Anywho, there's my two pennies, Kit.  Hope they help.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

lancer

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 23, 2009, 08:31:34 AM
Yes Humbrol like Weaver says Kit.  Then there's Testors Model Master line

You try getting Testors paints anywhere in the UK, or at least Southeren England. Bloody well impossible!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

kitnut617

Quote from: lancer on February 26, 2009, 07:35:43 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on February 23, 2009, 08:31:34 AM
Yes Humbrol like Weaver says Kit.  Then there's Testors Model Master line

You try getting Testors paints anywhere in the UK, or at least Southeren England. Bloody well impossible!!

Didn't know Testors was that hard to get over on your side, it's the other way around over here, trying to find a place that sells Humbrol without having to travel miles is getting hard.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

I have seen Testors over here (the UK) but in model railway shops
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

lancer

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 27, 2009, 07:22:27 AM
I have seen Testors over here (the UK) but in model railway shops

Great, at least thay should be easier to find!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Daryl J.

I used to add a drop of either Glosscoat or Dullcoat lacquer to my Testors Metalizer paints to increase their durability.   Much more than a drop, however, and the surface went from looking metallic to having a layer of silver metallic paint.

Similarly, for dull shades, I'd add a drop of  Header Flat White as it seemed to be the most heavily pigmented Testors flat white and would allow the surface to look oxidized without looking like a layer of paint.

HTH a bit,
Daryl J.