Tuck's All Black TSR.2

Started by Jeffry Fontaine, February 24, 2009, 08:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffry Fontaine

I thought he was referring to the "All Black" football team at first but as you can see from the images, it is an all black TSR.2 in 1/48th scale. 

Quote from: Tuck on February 24, 2009, 05:03:30 PM
(source of the topic: ''My 1/48 TSR.2 in Whiffey livery....'')
A little back story...

B.A.E. TSR.2 "Raven"

The 9th prototype, or first pre-prduction aircraft received a striking black paint job.  Certain fellows at the Air Ministry felt it appropriate to give a winking nod to the Vicker's Corporation.  Seeing as they had built the "right bomber at the wrong time..." in the form of the Valiant B.2, the Air Ministry wanted to show their remorse at the lack of foresight experienced by failing to get the "Black Bomber" into production.  Seeing as the TSR.2's fortay was to be low level, high speed flight, the black paint just seemed right.  XR229 served with distinction further wringing the bugs out of aircraft systems, and went on to pioneer new weapons delivery systems.  She now sits in quiet retirement in a dusty corner of the RAF Museum.

Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Mossie

The movie bad guy to the good guy in white!  Like it. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

MartG

Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

Vulcan7

"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

John Howling Mouse

mmm....does that black on black cockpit/canopy area ever look sinister.  Like a black '63 Vette coupe.  Man, this is nice! 

Brings to mind a question: I've noticed on some TSR.2 models, the builder keeps the main wheels perpendicular to the ground but on others, they angle outward at the bottom along with the struts. 

Which did the actual aircraft have?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

BlackOps

When I look at this I hear AC/DC in my head, AWESOME!   :wub:  Very nice look for the TSR.2  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Sisko

Funny when I look at it I hear the Rolling Stones..... ;D

Fantastic model made even more awesome by painting it in the hardest paint job known to man!!!!!!! :bow:
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

PR19_Kit

John,

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on February 25, 2009, 06:27:02 PM
Brings to mind a question: I've noticed on some TSR.2 models, the builder keeps the main wheels perpendicular to the ground but on others, they angle outward at the bottom along with the struts. 

In reality the gear was perpendicular to the ground, but the design of the struts means it's difficult to maintain this in model form. I understand the 1/48 Airfix kit is worse than most in this respect. Because the main struts angle outward there is always a lateral load on the axles/wheels which tends to make them camber inwards.

On my hybrid TSR2/RA-5C I used the Merlin white metal landing gear, and had to re-attach it more than once before it would remain aligned properly.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on February 25, 2009, 06:27:02 PM

Actually, both orientations.  I'll explain.  I have a video about the TSR2 and there's a long sequence all about the u/c.  It shows that when the u/c is stowed away the wheel bogie is orientated in the 'splayed out' position, when the u/c is extended the bogie stays in this 'splayed' orientated position right up to the point when the u/c is fully extended, then you can see what I can only describe as 'a popping motion' when the bogie (and wheels) is orientated upright, vertical to the ground.  I had studied this with great attention, running the tape back and forth just to watch what it was doing, because I was thinking of something similar for my Super Arrow project.  In the end I decided not to use the TSR2 system as the commentator on the tape says that on production aircraft the u/c would have to be redesigned (or something to that effect) because the u/c was very flexible, even on moderately heavy landings.  You can borrow the tape anytime Barry if you want.

Edit:  here's a couple of photos of a similar u/c set up, in the top photo the u/c is extended and the wheels are vertical to the ground, in the second photo you can see what happens when the u/c is stowed away, if the knuckle (the little white part at the bottom of the leg) didn't straighten out the u/c would have to stow away like this, but it doesn't do that on the TSR2, the wheel bogie is in line with the leg.  The parts in both the Airfix kits have been made so you can pose the u/c stowed away if you want to, or extended.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

Awesome ! Imagine that thing blasting past you at an airshow.......

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Just call me Ray

It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

sotoolslinger

NOW I see why y'all like those things ;D :wub: :thumbsup: :party:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland