O-2A Skymaster

Started by Matt_S, February 28, 2009, 07:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russcal

Quote from: PanzerWulff on March 01, 2009, 06:51:01 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 28, 2009, 10:33:42 PM

"never was an aircraft more appropriately numbered".

Jon
I don't get it  :unsure:
"Panzer"

Hiya, Panzer!

As a recently minted A & P here is one I can answer... FAA Form 337 is required for major repairs (or alterations) to an airframe, powerplant, propellor, or appliance.

Russ
Proud son of Rose and Wes

Matt_S

One thing I was thinking about was putting a radar pod under one of the wings.

Matt

Daryl J.

The Skymaster is quite noisy when compared to a Skylane or C-210 so whatever role it plays it will be about as subtle as a public address system.

Daryl J.

Just call me Ray

Piaggios and A500s are noisy as well (I can personally attest to this), apparently it has something to do with the exhaust being blown through the propellers.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

Mossie

Jeremy has already mentioned Q-Star style mods to reduce the noise signature.  Matt, if you wanted to free up the wings for the insertion pods, you could put the radar on the belly.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Acree

Check out this link to see some tactical surveillance Cessna 337s operated over Bosnia et al.  I would have sworn I also saw one modified to single pusher engine with an elongated nose and surveillance turret in the chin position, but can't find pics/proof. 

http://www.spyflight.co.uk/C337.htm

Cheers,
Chuck

Mossie

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 01, 2009, 05:25:17 PM
Quote from: Weaver on March 01, 2009, 03:07:14 PM
Wasn't there a Stuka with large overwing pods - same idea?

I think you're 100% correct. The Stuka pods were even larger than the Barracuda ones, looked like airhip engine pods perched onto top of the wings!

Why can you NEVER find pics of things like this when you need to........?  :banghead:

Kit/Weave, found these on Secret Projects, posted them here:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,20512.15.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on March 04, 2009, 03:42:01 PM
Kit/Weave, found these on Secret Projects, posted them here:

Mossie,

Yes indeed! :)

That's exactly the piccie of the 'Cuda I saw.

I must say Junkers seem to have had more of an appreciation of the drag factor of such a monstrous thing. The 'Cuda's pods look like someone drew them on the back of an envelope!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DarrenP2

Rhodesians used the Reims-Cessna FTB-337G in a variety of observation and light strike roles and added fixed armament of 2x .303 browning machine guns fixed above the cabin. Does make you think.