AZ Models

Started by NARSES2, March 01, 2009, 02:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Quote from: Freightdog862 on June 17, 2021, 01:51:10 PM
Some shots of the two seat SR.53 here, model pics are a bit distorted though;

https://www.facebook.com/artscale.eu/photos/pcb.4167235886704577/4167234553371377   

Think I prefer it to the single seater, even though this is made up.

Colin

I agree, Colin, seeing those pics has raised my level of interest in the kit.  Not to build it OOB but to whif it - graft on a new jet-only rear end and add larger intakes and maybe.....
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Weaver

You could use the two-seater to make a stretched single-seater:

1. Replace the back seat with more fuel and/or ammo for a pair of guns.

2. Put a single canopy over the rear seat position to create space in the nose for a radar.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

https://www.facebook.com/artscale.eu/photos/pcb.4167235886704577/4167234553371377   

Colin

I like that  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  But I think a 2-seater SR.177 would be more practical  ;) ;) ;)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 18, 2021, 05:55:42 AM

Colin

I like that  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  But I think a 2-seater SR.177 would be more practical  ;) ;) ;)

Yeah, but the SR.53 is prettier! 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

PR19_Kit

The whole nose is longer, isn't it?

AZ do seem to like 2-seater versions of the standard single seaters they do, viz the MB6.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Yet another waste of time.  They could have done something yet to be done in injection - an IAe Calquin or a De Havilland Don, but no, they faff around with something utterly fictional.

I for one am boycotting it.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

rickshaw

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on June 18, 2021, 08:38:13 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on June 18, 2021, 05:55:42 AM

Colin

Yeah, but the SR.53 is prettier!

The SR.177 has a certain, well, Brutish quality about it...   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on June 19, 2021, 07:59:43 PM

The SR.177 has a certain, well, Brutish quality about it...   :thumbsup:

Certainly brutish around that terrible canopy! :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 19, 2021, 02:13:48 PM
Yet another waste of time.  They could have done something yet to be done in injection - an IAe Calquin or a De Havilland Don, but no, they faff around with something utterly fictional.

I for one am boycotting it.

A 1/72 Don has (as far as my modelling interests are concerned) a fair bit of real world and whif potential to it. 
In the continuing absence of the long-promised DoraWings kit a Fairey FD2 would have been much more preferable to the 2-seat SR53. Indeed, there's a fair few 1950s UK 'X-planes' that would have more appeal to me, but would they appeal to a broader market?
Don't know, but AZ clearly sees a market for the 2-seat SR53.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Pellson

I would also have preferred a SR177 or a FD2, but I have to say that I'm really happy whatever whif things get released in injection media. It hasn't been the case for very long.

Will I buy the twin seater SR53? Maybe, but if so, I can see a twin seat small but agile carrier fighter to keep the Colossus class carriers relevant for longer. While several countries proved them functional with Skyhawks in the strike role, they lacked air defence aircraft ever since the Sea Hawk became outdated. However, such a scheme will take twin jets rather than the rocket/jet combo (pretty easy) but also more fuel to stop the pilot planning his landing circuit when sitting on the catapult. That might be a little bit more difficult, but I'm not seeing it as impossible.

I wonder what whif project we will see in injection next?  :wub:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

Quote from: Pellson on June 20, 2021, 02:48:41 AM
I would also have preferred a SR177 or a FD2, but I have to say that I'm really happy whatever whif things get released in injection media. It hasn't been the case for very long.

Will I buy the twin seater SR53? Maybe, but if so, I can see a twin seat small but agile carrier fighter to keep the Colossus class carriers relevant for longer. While several countries proved them functional with Skyhawks in the strike role, they lacked air defence aircraft ever since the Sea Hawk became outdated. However, such a scheme will take twin jets rather than the rocket/jet combo (pretty easy) but also more fuel to stop the pilot planning his landing circuit when sitting on the catapult. That might be a little bit more difficult, but I'm not seeing it as impossible.

Freightdog does an SR 177 as a resin kit which is unfortunatly out of stock at the moment. It's a nice kit, finished one and have two in the stash.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on June 20, 2021, 03:15:10 AM
Quote from: Pellson on June 20, 2021, 02:48:41 AM

Freightdog does an SR 177 as a resin kit which is unfortunatly out of stock at the moment. It's a nice kit, finished one and have two in the stash.

Gondor

I'm aware of that, but resin is a media I avoid if I can. Conversion kits - sure, but whole aircraft..  Only if there's no other solution.

That said, I should probably buy one, preferably for ridiculous money, because whenever I've done so in the past, unfailing, within a few months, there's an much betterm injected version on the market..  :rolleyes:

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on June 20, 2021, 06:09:57 AM

I'm aware of that, but resin is a media I avoid if I can. Conversion kits - sure, but whole aircraft..  Only if there's no other solution.

That said, I should probably buy one, preferably for ridiculous money, because whenever I've done so in the past, unfailing, within a few months, there's an much betterm injected version on the market..  :rolleyes:

I'm obviously the UK based representative of your organisation ?  ;) ;D

In all honesty I can find resin kits, good ones at least, easier builds than a lot of modern, super detailed IM's.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 20, 2021, 06:19:12 AM
I'm obviously the UK based representative of your organisation ?  ;) ;D

We should probably chase up ourselves a pair of old resin SR.177's, then..  ;D

Freightdog862

I can appreciate Wooksta's point of view, I felt the same when AZ did the two seat MB.5 Ferret, and thought it was a waste of plastic. However its a cheap way for them to get out another kit release by adding a few parts, so its not too surprising. But is it any different to some of the wacky Luft46 kits that were only a sketch and became full blown operations fighters with numerous kit releases, at least the SR.53 flew?   

For the record I don't have any skin in the game as they say, although the two seat kit boxes say its a cooperation with Freightdog Models, the first I knew about the kit was when it was listed on Hannants! I think that might be a courtesy left over from the single seat release.   

Think I might get one, the origins of the SR.53 was as a proposed interceptor, relegation to research aircraft before SR.177 took its place, and according to Mr McEvoy, Paul Lucas did dig out information on rocket fighters equipping RAuxAF squadrons, or maybe that is fake news (or what used to be called fibbing...)

Colin