AZ Models

Started by NARSES2, March 01, 2009, 02:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

About time there was a decent 1/72 X-3.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AS.12

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 04, 2018, 02:10:37 PM

Pity there wasn't a decent X-3 in 1/1!

Badoom-tish  etc

PR19_Kit

Quote from: AS.12 on September 04, 2018, 03:02:59 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 04, 2018, 02:10:37 PM

Pity there wasn't a decent X-3 in 1/1!

Badoom-tish  etc

;D ;D ;) ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: The Big Gimper on September 04, 2018, 01:21:43 PM
...If you are interested in putting on news wings (I am) here are some comparisons.

From the bottom up:

• Hasegawa Mirage F.1 kit
  • Hasegawa F-16A kit
  • ESCI F-104 kit
  • Mach 2 kit

F-3 Wing options
by Big Gimper, on Flickr

I like the F.1 wing myself: Big wing "F-3E"

You forgot the ubiquitous MiG 21 wing.

I have long wanted an Stiletto in 1/72.  This is a must have.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

The Marineflieger X-3 is hilarious.

zenrat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 05, 2018, 04:05:49 AM

The colours are great.  I can picture it with Aussie roundels.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

But as Zenrat says, the scheme is rather nice.

I can see me getting one of these (at least) if Mr AZ is at Telford. Have to remember where he was hiding last year first though  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

I've got an old Lindberg Stiletto  buried in the stash; I was thinking about an exo-atmospheric interceptor in Royal Navy  livery.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

The Wooksta!

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 05, 2018, 06:43:33 AM

I can see me getting one of these (at least) if Mr AZ is at Telford. Have to remember where he was hiding last year first though  ;D

IIRC, it wasn't too far from Collectakit.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 05, 2018, 03:11:07 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on September 05, 2018, 06:43:33 AM

IIRC, it wasn't too far from Collectakit.

That's right Lee. For the life of me I can't remember who he was sharing a stand with ? I don't think he was there on his own anyway ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Ideas for the X-3:

1. Restore it's missing performance by adding a rocket motor in the tail boom (apparently there was really a plan to replace the anemic J34s with rockets!)

2. Replace the twin engines with a single larger one (I can't find an adequate substitute for the J34). F-3H Demon parts might be useful in this from a modelling PoV.

3. Seaplane fighter with a large retractable hydroplane under the fuselage and outriggers on the wing tips.

4. Ski fighter with a large retractable ski under the fuselage and outrigger skis that retrace into wingtip pods that also house batteries of Mighty Mouse rockets. The justification might be a fast-reacting fighter to operate in the far north, thus pushing the defensive line further out from the US border.

5. Tactical strike fighter with ZELL, a tac nuke, wingtip tanks for extra range, and TAC markings.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

T-33 wings complete with tip tanks.
Fred

AS.12

Quote from: Weaver on September 06, 2018, 05:38:34 PM

5. Tactical strike fighter with ZELL, a tac nuke, wingtip tanks for extra range, and TAC markings.

Which led me to research the take-off run of the X-3: "about 15,000ft"  :o

HELL!

Madoc

Okay, to make this one "realistic" we'll just assume that either the originally spec'd engines actually lived up to their promised thrust or the Douglas boys found suitable engines which did the job instead.  AND we then slap on some much bigger wings to actually give the bird enough lift to get off the runway in less than a "to the horizon and beyond" worth of distance.

Cool!
Wherever you go, there you are!

Dizzyfugu

A canopy with a better all-round view might also be a suitable update, even though, when you follow the idea of a ground-guided interceptor (a typical concept of the time), a fatter radar nose and some missiles (Falcons?) should suffice. Hmmm...  :rolleyes: