AZ Models

Started by NARSES2, March 01, 2009, 02:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

I don't object to it being pure fantasy and I understand the economics of getting a new boxing by swapping a few bits, but there are other things I'd like to see made in injection plastic: the P.1052 and P.1081 spring immediately to mind.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Gondor

Quote from: Weaver on June 20, 2021, 07:21:35 AM
I don't object to it being pure fantasy and I understand the economics of getting a new boxing by swapping a few bits, but there are other things I'd like to see made in injection plastic: the P.1052 and P.1081 spring immediately to mind.

Naval P.1154 springs to my mind

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Martin H

Quote from: Gondor on June 20, 2021, 11:10:53 AM

Naval P.1154 springs to my mind

Gondor

Motion seconded!
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Pellson

I still don't get this argument, so please forgive my stupidity - but I'm happy for EVERYTHING new that's issued rather than the one millionth edition of a Spitfire V.
Accordingly, I'd love a P.1154. In fact, I'd definitely go bananas if someone issued both variants as well. Not to mention thr OR 329 offers, the early V-bomber designs etc etc. You get it. Basically just start from one end of Chris Gibsons books and work their way through.

Then, I understand that you can have issues about in which order these kits are issued, but that has, in my mind at least, to be secondary. After all - someone will be happy about what's issued and hopefully, if it sells, more will come. As happened with the Luftwaffe -46 theme.

But I'll just crawl back under my old Airfix boxes and growl on..  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Pellson on June 20, 2021, 11:04:10 PM
I still don't get this argument, so please forgive my stupidity - but I'm happy for EVERYTHING new that's issued rather than the one millionth edition of a Spitfire V.
Accordingly, I'd love a P.1154. In fact, I'd definitely go bananas if someone issued both variants as well. Not to mention thr OR 329 offers, the early V-bomber designs etc etc. You get it. Basically just start from one end of Chris Gibsons books and work their way through.

Then, I understand that you can have issues about in which order these kits are issued, but that has, in my mind at least, to be secondary. After all - someone will be happy about what's issued and hopefully, if it sells, more will come. As happened with the Luftwaffe -46 theme.

But I'll just crawl back under my old Airfix boxes and growl on..  ;)

Well said.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Mossie

We're arguing against a wiff kit in a wiff forum???

Surely the opposite is true of what's being said, a little re-jig sells a few more kits for little effort and makes it more likely for other kits to be in the shelves?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Pellson

Quote from: Pellson on June 20, 2021, 11:04:10 PM
..but I'm happy for EVERYTHING new that's issued rather than the one millionth edition of a Spitfire V.

Oh - one last thing. For Mr Freightdog:
Colin, I'm immensely impressed by your work and I have two of your conversions, so far - but as said, I can't help but prefer injected full kits. Hence, I hope you're not taking this the wrong way, but rather appreciate what I'm trying to say, which basically is - cowork with whoever you like, including the geezer with the funny tail, but do allow your vast knowledge and skill to be transformed into injected media as well. Please!
Thank you. :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on June 20, 2021, 11:33:47 PM

Surely the opposite is true of what's being said, a little re-jig sells a few more kits for little effort and makes it more likely for other kits to be in the shelves?

A view I share Mossie

I must admit I quite like AZ kits (that's probably obvious  :angel:) but you have to be a little careful with them. Some of the newer kits, like the Me 109's, are extremely nice, whilst others can be not quite up to that standard and you have to be careful with some of the so called "New" kits as they are simply "New" in an AZ box  :-X Treat them as Limited Run and you shouldn't be disappointed.

I missed seeing them at SMW last year. I've always had a decent chat with them on the Sunday even though their English isn't great and my Czech is non-existent. In my view they are genuine people interested in our shared hobby  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Mossie on June 20, 2021, 11:33:47 PM
We're arguing against a wiff kit in a wiff forum???

It's not even a whif, it's simply made up fiction, by a company that appears to be pandering to a particular niche. 

Wasn't What If meant to be doing something different from the usual kit fare?  Taking something and creating your own?  Going against the tide?  Because that's what I remember it to be.  Yet now business is doing it and selling it back and everyone seems to be all for it.  Absolute balderdash.

Do none of you realise what's happening?  Is no one else seeing it?

Our creativity is being co-opted, rebranded and cynically sold back to us.  This isn't whiffing.  It's commercial exploitation.

Had someone here or elsewhere stretched an Airfix SR.53 and done a two seat trainer, great.  That's what if.  This isn't. The MB6 wasn't either, neither was the navalised MB5.  Many could argue that the Napkinwaffe are largely fictional, but there's company info to back up most of the designs, so they do have some toehold in reality and are legitimate, if unsavoury for my taste (I have ethical issues with Luftwaffe 46 types now).

Remember back in the day, when we had punks in the 70s and goths in the 80s?  They made their own gear, but now kids who call themselves "Goths" and "Punks"  can go into any shop and buy it off the shelf.  Co-opted, rebranded, pre-packaged, safe rebellion.  And the corporate world is creaming off.  That is exactly what's happening here.

You are buying into it?  Fine.  Your money, your choice.  Just remember you are being used.

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 22, 2021, 05:14:58 AM
Lee has a point.

He does, but it's something that's been happening since the dawn of man.

So I think we are all aware of each other's positions on the issue, so can we leave it at that and simply go back to what the thread is intended for, which is to update people on AZ's plans, latest releases etc ? People can then form their own perfectly valid opinions.

Thankyou

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 22, 2021, 06:06:18 AM
Quote from: zenrat on June 22, 2021, 05:14:58 AM
Lee has a point.

He does, but it's something that's been happening since the dawn of man.

So I think we are all aware of each other's positions on the issue, so can we leave it at that and simply go back to what the thread is intended for, which is to update people on AZ's plans, latest releases etc ? People can then form their own perfectly valid opinions.

Thankyou

Chris

I wonder where all the Sci-Fi crap fits into his theory ---- like Blake's 7 and others, pure fiction but mainstream manufacturers are producing it ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Ordered a couple of the new P 40's/Kittyhawk's this morning, I think the box's say they are reissues, but I fancied the markings included and also seeing what the are like.

NARSES2

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 10, 2021, 06:03:45 AM
Ordered a couple of the new P 40's/Kittyhawk's this morning, I think the box's say they are reissues, but I fancied the markings included and also seeing what the are like.

Arrived this morning. Detail looks nice, there's a little flash around some parts but now't a sharp blade can't handle. I basically bought them as I liked the markings being offered, so both will real world and I'll be building these as "time fillers" whilst I'm working on more complicated builds and there's some down time whilst bits dry/glue sets etc.