UV-22J Osprey, JMSDF - FINISHED!

Started by nev, March 01, 2009, 05:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

Well I'm in with one of Mavs profiles - Japan Marine Self Defense Force, in the SAR scheme.  This will be just a simple OOB build (unless there are some inspired suggestions for mods to the base kit) using the Italeri 1.72 model.

Right, I'm off to the garage to start my first whiff of the year!
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

ChernayaAkula

This is gonna be cool!  :thumbsup: Although I was kinda hoping you'd go for the attack version with Apache-cockpit.  :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

nev

Thats last on my list of 6 Japanese Ospreys!
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Maverick

Looking forward to this one Nev.  It's always nice when they get into plastic.

Regards,

Mav

nev

OK, progress! Cockpit done, OOB, and not bad for Italeri.  I've used a little bit of artistic license with the green MFDs, looks so much more interesting than gloss black ;)

Aircav

They look better green anyway, hey who for got to switch off the aircraft ? ;D
She should look great Nev  :thumbsup:
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

ChernayaAkula

That does look very nice for an OOB cockpit!  :o

6 Japanese Ospreys? You damn sure are Nippon Nev!  :lol:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

nev

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on March 03, 2009, 05:10:40 AM
6 Japanese Ospreys? You damn sure are Nippon Nev!  :lol:

This is 1.  2 is SH-60J JMSDF, 3 is UH-60J JASDF in yellow/white SAR, 4 is blue/blue SAR JASDF, 5 is JGSDF in camo, 6 is Japan Coast Guard :)

In other news, fuselage together. 

Had a bit of a mare with the nose weight - put some superglue in to secure the weight, but it was runnier than I thought and attacked one of the lower front windows :doh:  I've managed to polish up the outside, but the inside is a bit cloudy :(

I've also decided to put a bubble window in the stbd door - raided from an old Airfix SAR Sea King which no longer meets my average standards (so it must be bad ;) )  Would have been easier if I decided to do this *before* I closed the fuselage up, but I've got there. 

Question, should I put another one in the port fuselage?

The other question is where to put the rescue winch - traditionally it goes above the stbd door, but that is inches away from the props.....

PR19_Kit

How about hanging the winch from below the centre of the tailplane?

I know that sounds daft at first but like that you could winch survivors directly into the open rear ramp, and with a maximum of 2 bodies at once the CG shift shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Mind you, when you're winching the props would be in the vertical flight position so they'd be way up above the wing, so the starboard door position could well work so long as the winch folded in flush with the fuselage.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Aircav

You could fit the winch inside with the cable coming down through the middle of the floor.  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Mossie

Keep it coming Nev!  You're going to be busy, busy, busy!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Quote from: nev on February 04, 2009, 10:20:41 AM
Then I want to do a JSDF Osprey based off Mavs awesome profiles, probably this one - although the swine did 8 (eight), of which I must do at least 8!

Just read this, you promised 8, you're slacking.  It's just not good enough! ;D
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

Looking good, Nevster ! I'd put the hoist in the traditional spot. As stated, it doesn't make much diference if you're hovering, does it ? I'd also stick the bubble windows on each side. Who know's what's going to be jutting up from the earth/ sea when you're coming in, so it would be nice to have a good look on either side.

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

Thanks Fellas - I asked on ARC, apparantly the CSAR variants for the USN & USAF have the winch mounted in the roof at the rear of the cabin, and the back door is actually split in 2 (Italeri kit depicts prototype without this feature)