UV-22J Osprey, JMSDF - FINISHED!

Started by nev, March 01, 2009, 05:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

:banghead: I should have thought of that We have USAF CV-22s where I am. Great progress Nev  :bow:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Maverick

I'll be keen to see your Gunship interpretation too Nev.

Regards,

Mav

nev

Don't hold your breath for that one mate! :D
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mossie

You could do a Gunship that dian't go as far as Mav's profile with the Apache nose, just add a gun up front plus a few greeblies.  Either stick some guns out the side, or do it as a Special Forces taxi.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

nev

Right, several coats of Halfords White Primer later....

Will be breaking out the Halfords Appliance White tomorrow (weather permitting)

Next is question is how to paint the engine pods.

1)  As per the profile
2)  Overall white
3)  Overall dayglo orange (common on wingtips of JMSDF/JSDF birds)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mossie

Innovative use of yoghurt pots Nev!  Either red & white or dayglo for the engines.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

chrisonord

I am going to keep my eye on this one Nev,  :ph34r: :thumbsup:
One of my faves, here. I have built 2 versions of V-22, one a gunsip with a quad launcher of Hellfires on the starboard front fuselage, and the other is a Navy anti ship version.
Here the are.

I am looking forward to seeing this one finished thats for sure.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

nev

Well I spent 2 hours playing with masking tape last night <_<  Worst part is, I know there will be a tiny little gap somewhere that I've missed that will result in some red/orange creeping through onto the white - we'll just have to wait and see where it is, won't we?

Note the grey stickers under the wings - these are from one of the boys wooden models, for its wheels, but are the perfect size for masking a Hinomaru :)

And then it was out with the Halfords Dayglo Orange :o  This is for the nose and ramp, but I did the whole thing because the main red colour has an orange hue which I wanted to show

Mossie

Mike Wren

nice progress Nev, you can never have enough dayglo...  :wub:

nev

So, one coat of Halfords "Fiat Red Orange" later.....

Remove the masking, et Voila!

The colour is a pretty close match to the orangey-red used on the real thing, even if I do say so myself :)

However.... :(

Grrrrr.....most of the areas of creep have arisen around the raised panel lines & rivets on the model <_<  Thankfully they're proving to not hard to carefully remove...

Mossie

Tip for the future Nev, I've found that spraying or painting the base coat over the masking before you spray the new colour helps eliminate most of the runs.

Don't confuse this with having the runs.  Using this approach the morning after a curry could be double messy. :blink: :blink: :blink:

John Howling Mouse

Very cool, Nev!  Going to be a striking, handsome bird when she's done.   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

nev

Decals on & nearly there!  May replace the fuselage Hinomarus as they are a different shade of red to the ones I used on the wings <_<

Mossie

Looking good, nearly there! :party: