Avro Anson

Started by Weaver, March 06, 2009, 06:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

So, what can you do with an Anson then?

One thing that's occured to me is to replace the engines with the Lycoming pods off a Revell Do-28, possibly with the fixed u/c as well.

Any more ideas?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Daryl J.

Would it work as an early air ambulance for transport into hospital in Regina, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnepeg, Minot, etc?

Daryl J., thinking civvie and constructive

jcf

Quote from: Daryl J. on March 06, 2009, 08:14:47 PM
Would it work as an early air ambulance for transport into hospital in Regina, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnepeg, Minot, etc?

Daryl J., thinking civvie and constructive

Hi Daryl,
several Anson Mk.11 and Mk.12 were completed as air ambulances with hinged wing-root fillets
on the port side to allow stretchers to be pushed into the cabin. The first Mk.11 ambulance flew
on July 30, 1944.
The Mk.11 introduced the raised cabin roof to increase headroom.

Jon

jcf

The CO of 500 Sqn, Coastal Command had a 20mm 'anti-submarine' cannon mounted in the belly of his Anson.
Other aircraft in the squadron had two additional machine guns firing through the side windows.

Between September 1939 and July 1940, Anson's were credited with downing:
One Do 18
Two Bf 109
One Bf 110
One He 111
One He 115

Jon

Zeke

Quote from: Weaver on March 06, 2009, 06:50:33 PM
So, what can you do with an Anson then?

Well first off I'd start with chopping the wings off just outboard of the nacelles, then removing the vertical tail and placing them in a small cardboard box. Then cut the nose off, as well as the elevators, stabilisers and rear fuselage, place them in the box too. This leaves you with the centre section of the wings and fuselage including the engines, you may as well just put these in the box as well as they are of no further use, then put the whole lot in the oven at 200 degrees, gas mark 8 for about 30mins, when cooked take the congealed plastic/cardboard mess out to the back garden and bury with full military honours under the rose bush in the corner. Then get your dog (preferably a German breed of some description) and train it to ceremoniously Pee all over said bush each and every morning.

Now, any more Anson related questions?
:wacko: ;D
It's a big, wide world out there...so if it's all the same to you I'll just stay indoors!

jcf

Avro and Cierva worked together on a twin-engined autogyro project (Avro 668/Cieva C.37) that was never completed.
The three-bladed rotor was to be 54' in diameter, now that is too small to lift an Anson sized aircraft, but, What-If?...

Anson with the wings lopped off outboard of the engines, fixed gear and a 64' three-blade rotor.

Jon

Radish

There was a floatplane version. But this could be developed into wider operational use, or with a different float configuration.

Add a rotor to the top, clip the wings and have it as a sort of rotordyne or even an autogyro.

V-tail trimotor.

T-tail Canadian version on wheels, floats or skis.

Mobile torture chamber...clearly viewed through the glazing, for the Spanish Inquisition.

Open-topped tourist bus/aircraft. Blackpool.

Gunship with underwing stores, turrets, window-guns, wingtip tanks and an A-26K scheme for Vietnam.

Clip the wings, add a fuselage parasol and use it as a "parasol-winged transport".

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Daryl J.

I thought you could take the wings completely off, give it a wrapped brown paper look, a bit of shredded tobacco on the tip,  and a pretty label and you have a full sized Anson Cigar.   :blink: :blink:

Daryl J.

sequoiaranger

>I thought you could take the wings completely off, give it a wrapped brown paper look, a bit of shredded tobacco on the tip,  and a pretty label and you have a full sized Anson Cigar. <

Or you could take the wings off, and most of the rear fuselage, put four wheels and a tiny motor on it, paint it black and have an "Anson Cab".
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Weaver

You could load it up with napalm tanks to make an "Avro Arson".......

Coat, flying helmet, goggles, gone.................
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Chap

Radish

OH YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party: :party: :party:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

jcf

Avro schemed a scaled-down version of the 652 transport (Anson) as the Armstrong-Siddeley Genet Major IA powered 660.
A mockup of the  trousered undercarriage aircraft was built and prototype construction reached a stage where the constructor
number 723 and registration G-ACUN were allotted.

The drawing shows that a trousered Anson would look quite nice.  ;D

Jon

Mossie

The nose & engines are not far off a Beechcraft Model 18/C-45.  The windscreen is similar, although the angle is less on the Beechcraft.  You might be able to get somewhere close with a three way kitbash.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.