Sea Harrier AEW.1 and KGR.3 Harrier

Started by sandiego89, March 07, 2009, 06:02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Hello, first submission.  The Fleet Air Arm was desperate for Airborne Early Warning for the Falklands Task Force.  The Blue Fox Radar on the Sea Harrier had limited range and look down/shoot down capabilities, and a radar with greater range was needed.  Through secret involvement from the United States several sets of the powerfull AWG-9 radars from the F-14 Tomcat were shipped to the UK and mounted to harrier t2 airframes.  The aircraft were rechristened Sea Harrier AEW1 and were sent south with follow on elements of the task force. 

To allow great on station time for the Sea Harriers and Sea Harrier AEW1, several Gr3 harriers were modified to provide buddy refueling.  They were modified with a 300 gallon tanks and internal pumps to move fuel around.  The starboard tank housed a modified refueling rig from a buccaneer and the aircraft were known as KGR.3's. 

The Sea Harrier AEW kit.  1/72 scale.  Forward fuselage and tail- old Bobcat Heller T4.  Main fuselage and wings Airfix GR3.  Radome Revell snapkit F-14 A. 

The KGR.3.  Airfix GR3. 

Thanks Kit!
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

ChernayaAkula

Way cool!  :bow:

I wonder if this could actually work?
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Captain Canada

Hey, that guy stole my lines !

Great idea....I just love Harriers ! Can we see a few more pics ?

:wub:

Welcome aboard, eh ?!
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

Yes, the People demand more pics (please)!  :cheers:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

BlackOps

Nice build and idea, and welcome to the group  :thumbsup: Hope to see more from you in the future.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Rear quarter.  The probe is scratch build as it is lnoger than the Sea Harrier/GR3/AV8A family.
Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

And the KGR3. Good sources have told me that the harrier/Sea Harrier were never really considered for buddy refueling as they would have little to offer it terms of fuel offload, were not really pumbed to transfer fuel around and center of gravity concerns, but in the Falklands even being able to pass a few thousand pounds would have really helped extend the combat air patrols.

Kit is stock airfix GR3, with 300ish gallon tanks, with the starboard pod with a scratch built wind powered generator and basket. 
Dave "Sandiego89"

Taiidantomcat

You have won this Harrier fan over  :thumbsup: Nice work  :bow:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

sotoolslinger

Cool concept and nice execution. :thumbsup: ;D Welcome to you.
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

PR19_Kit

Dave,

Excellent, glad you managed to shrink the piccies.  :cheers:

I love the finlets on the AEW1's tailplane, just what would have been needed. BAe may even have resurrected the ultra-tall fin that Hawker first fitted to the trainer Harriers perhaps?

And thanks for the notes from CO 848, they make fascinating reading!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Kit, yes I thought about the taller fin, an extra 18 inches if i recall, but went with the Bobacat tail  Probably every inch would have been needed. 
Dave "Sandiego89"

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!