Martin A-1K Mauler

Started by JayBee, March 07, 2009, 01:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGreig

Quote from: JayBee on March 08, 2009, 01:31:47 PM
I loved the comment from several people "Is that a new wing on that Skyraider?".
They have my sympathy - I looked twice at this before I realised what it was, even though you have "Mauler" in the title :rolleyes:
A beautiful model and a convincing finish  :thumbsup:

jcf

Quote from: JayBee on March 09, 2009, 09:18:16 AM
The Hasegawa A-1 Sktraider provided the engine,

JimB
So you re-engined the aircraft from an R-4360 to an R-3350?
Is that part of your re-work backstory?

Nice build.

Jon

noxioux

Excellent.  That's a real beauty. :wub: :wub: :wub:

JayBee

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 09, 2009, 05:31:48 PM

JimB

Nice build.

Jon
Actually, no.
With the large spinner gone the engine is more visible, and the kit moulding is X$*&%.
The Hasegawa engine just looks SO much better.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

jcf

Quote from: JayBee on March 10, 2009, 01:09:45 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 09, 2009, 05:31:48 PM

JimB

Nice build.

Jon
Actually, no.
With the large spinner gone the engine is more visible, and the kit moulding is X$*&%.
The Hasegawa engine just looks SO much better.

Jim

Ok, but, the Mauler had a 28-cylinder R-4360 and the Skyraider an 18-cylinder R-3350,
so in effect it has been re-engined.

Jon

JayBee

Do I detect a closet JMN here?

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

jcf

Quote from: JayBee on March 10, 2009, 06:55:04 AM

Call me whatever you like Jim, I was simply wondering about the engine choice.
Now that you've said it was simply for looks, fine.

BTW the notion that people who do have an interest in 'real' history and technology are lesser beings
than Whiffers, something that seems to be a religion to some folks here, is as childish and tedious as
those folks who truly are, JMNs. Personally, I've not encountered the species, perhaps they are more
common in the UK? Land of the anorak?

JayBee

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 10, 2009, 07:57:54 AM
Quote from: JayBee on March 10, 2009, 06:55:04 AM

Call me whatever you like Jim, I was simply wondering about the engine choice.
Now that you've said it was simply for looks, fine.

BTW the notion that people who do have an interest in 'real' history and technology are lesser beings
than Whiffers, something that seems to be a religion to some folks here, is as childish and tedious as
those folks who truly are, JMNs. Personally, I've not encountered the species, perhaps they are more
common in the UK? Land of the anorak?

I did not call you that, only hinted, and got an excellent response. Thank you for that.
There are some people out there who are that pedantic, and you know they realy do not bother me at all.
If that is what makes them happy, good for them. Please do not expect me to follow their ways is all I ask.
When it comes to a RW model I assure you I can be as pedantic as the next person, and having judged a good number of competitions, you sometimes have to be.
However this is WHIFFERY, so lets have some FUN.
For example, one of my up and coming projects needs RR RB211's but all I have to hand is CF6's, so what the heck they are big fat Hi-bypass fans, they will do.

JimB

Cats are not real. 

sequoiaranger

"It's your fecking model" works for me, too, though I always like to have as much real-world believability as I can in my whiffs.

I think the issue with the engine change and "looks" is that the 18-cylinder radial of the Skyraider engine will have nine cylinders visible (two rows), and the 28-cylinder radial of the Mauler will have only SEVEN cylinders visible (four rows). Nez Pas?

And as far as "encountering JMN's", in my decades of experience I have only encountered ONE, but oh brother! So the genuine JMN stands out in my mind, but is not as common an archtype as might be portrayed here. Some modelers are simply more picky and obstinate than others, or more knowledgeable and just insensitive in the way they share that knowledge. Maybe "JMN's-in-training"!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!