B

Chinese carrierborne fighter - what will they go for?

Started by B777LR, March 11, 2009, 10:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B777LR

So, reading around the internet today, it seems China has just had their order for 50 Sukhoi Su-33 cancelled out by Russia. The reason was the illegal copy of an Su-27 / J-11B, by China.

Now, with a Carrier (ex-Varyag, now Shi Lang) soon able to make way, will they merely resort to using Helicopters, or are they actually going to get some fixed wing aircraft?

What could China get?

:cheers:

QuoteSu-33 talks twist and turn as China seeks carrier-borne fighter
Negotiations for the sale of Sukhoi Su-33 carrier-capable combat aircraft to the Chinese People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) are still continuing with both sides interested in coming to a final agreement, Russian industry sources have told Jane's . "Previous reports that these discussions are at an end or that the 'contract has been cancelled' are incorrect," said a Russian source close to the programme   - Janes

So may well be Su-33's afterall

G

cthulhu77

Spey_Phantom

from what i heared they are planning on building a carrier version of either the J-10 or J-11.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Weaver

Wow - they sold China a fighter plane and they copied it: who saw that coming, huh?  :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

Quote from: Weaver on March 11, 2009, 11:29:13 AM
Wow - they sold China a fighter plane and they copied it: who saw that coming, huh?  :rolleyes:
Yeah, what the heck :huh: It sure as heck never bothered them before. :blink: If China has already copied the SU-27 why don't they just build their own carrier version. It ain't like they never modified a stolen design before. :rolleyes:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

ChernayaAkula

The J-11 was an illegal copy?  :o I always thought it was license-produced.

As for what they're going to use:

or

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

sotoolslinger

Sweet photoshoppery  :thumbsup:
I personally think they should build these

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Rafael

I believe the sovi- er, russian carrier deal was also aborted by the seller, so they are going their own way, or was it the indians? :unsure:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

pyro-manic

AFAIR it was if the Indians pull out of buying the Gorshkov, then the Russians will recommission her themselves. Might happen, as the Russians keep ramping up the price..
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Shasper

AFAIK the Chinese did license build the Su-27 as the J-11 . . . Maybe there was some disputes due to the terms of license?

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

B777LR

Quote from: Shasper on March 11, 2009, 09:34:23 PM
AFAIK the Chinese did license build the Su-27 as the J-11 . . . Maybe there was some disputes due to the terms of license?

Shas 8)

Nope, China had license to build the Su-27 base model. They then began unlicensed production of the J-11B, what the Chinese call an upgraded 21st century version...

Shasper

Ah so thats the problem? Guess that puts kinks in their aspirations for wanting to license the Su-30M too.

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Joe C-P

By the time the Chinese have a proper carrier, the Su-27 may be outdated.
Then again, the way the USN is going they might be more than adequate.

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Sauragnmon

I remember reading a day or two ago in my inbox, Janes had something to say that the Chinese were imminently to announce their Carrier plans, and that they've apparently been taking more of a forward role in the Chinese Military thought.

As to what they would fly - I would imagine they might opt for either a navalized J-10, possibly twin-engine. 

Alternately, they could just Navalize the J-11B.  The J-11B features new engines, if I recall, upgrades over the original version.  Go figure the Russians got their nose out of joint over it.  It's the J-7 all over again?  Will we see it turn into a new version of the J-8 as well?

AEW - they could well domestically build a turboprop unit, if they want to - could turn out something similar to the Yak-144 with the contra-prop concept.

ASW - probably helicopters, maybe a fast ASW aircraft as well?

Just my tuppence.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

rallymodeller

Probably their own navalized version of the J-11. Be honest here, people -- the Chinese have not come up with anything original as far as a fighter, ever. All they do is copy other countries' (mainly Soviet) fighters, then make "improvements". 

That is, of course, if they ever get it into service. They're mainly still using 1960s-vintage tech with the exception of a handful of J-11s and J-10s. 
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D