Demonic SU-40 Hell Hound

Started by sotoolslinger, March 11, 2009, 11:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

So very over the top!   :bow:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Sauragnmon

She's looking awesome, Ron!  Variable Rear Wing, interesting concept definately.  Kudos, and looking forward to seeing her finished.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

sotoolslinger

Thanks y'all. I had to go stock up on putty yesterday :blink: :rolleyes:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

noxioux

The conformal tanks look like they were just right.  Did you have to use 2 sets of tanks for that?

sotoolslinger

Yes I did .I cut the front portions off both sets and used them. Actually I scaleorama'd the tanks from a 1/72 for the landing gear fairings :wacko:
I amuse me.

Sauragnmon

Looking forward to seeing the Putty-fu in action on this one STS.  I'm dreading one part of mine - the part where I have to take the tail boom and build an extension so it blends into the fuselage and so the extended engine bays hook up with it and blend in somehow... not to mention the undersides of the new gloves.  I've only got one set of gear bays, but there's a substantial gap from the gloves on the wings that overhangs, so I'm just going to widen out the fuselage and put in some weapons bays on the back of it.

Yours should turn out nice, if it doesn't turn into a complete mudpuppy.  Even then, I'm sure you can salvage it if it does.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

sotoolslinger

I did some blendification

The forward wing gloves will blend into the fuselage like the original wings did

I also scratched up the lowers on the wing gloves to blend back into the tanks

Here you can see the two tank halves made into one tank

Here I used the front of a 1/72 tank to fair the landing gear in

Now more putty :o :blink: :rolleyes:
I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

Saur ,I knew the job was dangerous when I took it. I have no doubt about the amount of putty this beast will require. I have already used 2 complete sticks :banghead:
When I blend in disparate parts I always try to scavenge parts from other stuff so as to avoid scratch building. In other words.....cheat :wacko: :lol: :rolleyes:
I amuse me.

Sauragnmon

It's not cheating... it's Creative Use of Spare Parts.  That's what it is. *nod*

Yeah, if I can find a drop tank that's shaped for it, I'll see if I can't use a tank to blendificate the tail fairing into the fuselage... that should help with the process.  I Think I have one too - centerline tank off one of my Salvage Fulcrums should be big enough I think, with a little finesse.  Then I have to find a new bang seat because the existing one lost the headrest.  I've been puttying and smoothing so it should work nicely, and I just did some Blendification of my own on the LERX.

John Howling Mouse

Are you using any Plumbers Epoxy or Aves Apoxie Sculpt as quick build-up on this one, Ron, or just multiple layers of the squadron green putty visible in the pics?
With such dissimilar parts, what kind of glue do you use (I imagine there's not always a lot of joint area for some of these wild combos?)?

:thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

Tons ;D I have already used 2 sticks of plumbers putty to solve the unsuitable joint situation :wacko:. The Aquamend stuff I have mentioned before is really good stickum in thick enough applications. It is the only thing holding the wing gloves and wings onto the Flanker fuse except for liberal application of gap filling super glue Gel .
I amuse me.

ElectrikBlue

Quote from: Sauragnmon on March 15, 2009, 08:58:13 AM
It's not cheating... it's Creative Use of Spare Parts.  That's what it is. *nod*

I agree with Sauragnmon.

Very nice curvy blendification work! :thumbsup:

EB

sotoolslinger

Thanks Blue ;D More curvy smoothifying

I did the curves on the LERX with a BELT SANDER ( I ain't skairt) :rolleyes:

I also rough cut the structural putty at the joints with a big burr in a Dremel so I could get down to some Serious putty work

Blended the top of the wing gloves

And the tanks into the gloves on the bottom

As well as rough cuts on the canards

I amuse me.

cthulhu77

Belt sander and putty goodness !!!  The outline is fantastic, this one is going to really rock.

Shasper

W O W ! ! ! *jaw hits floor*

I'm ashamed of my pitiful puttifu skilz!

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.