849 Squadron FAA

Started by Nigel Bunker, March 12, 2009, 06:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nigel Bunker

Does anybody have an image they could e-mail me of the 849 Sqn Bee as found on the tail of their AEW Gannets? O am looking to make a decal which will go on top of the radome of my 849 Sqn Hawkeye AEW.2. PM me in the first place if you can help.
Life's too short to apply all the stencils

Mossie

Nigel, there's plenty of shots of 849 NAS Gannets on Airliner.netGannet Pics on Airliners.net

There's a profile on Wings Palette that might be useful for printing your own decal from:
http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/s/488/9/0/4

Model Alliance have a decal sheet with the Bee on it, maybe you can tap someone up for it rather than buy the whole sheet?
http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=ML72121

I might have some shots on my home computer, the Yorkshire Air Museum have a 849 NAS Gannet.  I can't promise as I had a virus problem recently & lost many photos, but if I swing around there sometime soon I might get a few pics for you.  I'll PM you if can find one.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Nigel Bunker

Thanks for the links Mossie - I am looking to make a decal about 50m dia so need a good image to start from.

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Nigel Bunker

Aircav - that is excellent - thank you

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on March 12, 2009, 07:34:02 AM
I might have some shots on my home computer, the Yorkshire Air Museum have a 849 NAS Gannet. 

As a point of interest there weren't any non-849 Sqdn Gannet AEW3s. It was the only operational AEW3 NAS and all the ships flights were part of 849. I think the Squadron was home based at Yeovilton, but when their carriers were docked they tended to be boarded out wherever there was a nearby Naval Air Station.

I was lucky (or maybe un-lucky.....) to get a 30 min air test flight in the back of an AEW3 in the summer of 1961 while it was at Culdrose for a short while. Was it ever cramped and noisy in there!  :o

Trying to look out of thye bulged side window, the only vision break in the rear compartment, was almost impossible as my borrowed bone dome was bigger than the window!  :lol:

One day I'll build one.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit