DHC-1 Chipmunk

Started by apophenia, March 12, 2009, 11:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apophenia

The DHC-1 Chipmunk comes up from time to time but there's no Chippie thread!

[Note all my DHC-1 images & related posts have been deleted to spare the Download File]

Weaver

Given the RAF's predeliction for side-by-side seating, I always thought the Chipmunk was a slightly odd choice. Any idea what the other contenders were?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Rat

Quote from: Weaver on March 13, 2009, 05:17:23 AM
Given the RAF's predeliction for side-by-side seating, I always thought the Chipmunk was a slightly odd choice.

Ah, but this was a Canadian design, and therefore too good to pass up!  ;D :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

JayBee

Given the RAF's predeliction for side-by-side seating, I always thought the Chipmunk was a slightly odd choice. Any idea what the other contenders were?
Avro 504
Gipsy Moth
Tiger Moth
Magister
Oh gosh, they are all tandem saeters, what am I thinking off?

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kitnut617

I don't know about that weaver, the first side-by-side that I can think of was the Hunting Percival Provost which came after the Chipmunk.  The Chipmunk just followed a long line of tandem seat trainers stretching all the way back to WW.I.   Interestingly though, the RAF went back to tandem, Gnat, Hawk, Tucano spring to mind  :rolleyes: :lol:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

B777LR

GTX

My quickly done Speedchip:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Single seat!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

There was a one off Turbo Chippy with a Rover TP.90 Turboprop.  Might be a good candidate for the Speedchip with it's & sleek looks.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

philp

Don't forget the Super Chipmunk:
http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

ElectrikBlue

Quote from: apophenia on March 12, 2009, 11:54:56 PM
And a Commonwealth Bedcheck Charlie (RAF or RCAF) Chipmunk inspired by philp's Rabid 'Munk concept.
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,23422.0.html
This toothier Chippie would have a shortened canopy for a single pilot, a few light bomb racks, a long tail pipe (and/or muffler), and plenty of flat black.

Just a jet version of the 'Bedcheck Charlie'...  ;D

EB

philp

The Portuguese recently reengined some Munks.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

PR19_Kit

Quote from: apophenia on March 16, 2009, 02:20:56 PM
Here, the Hatfield-built version. The Downsview-built DHC-1F Chip Fox featured a blown, sliding canopy and float fittings.

Oh my LIFE!  :lol:

That produced gales of laughter across our lounge. Mrs. PR19 is looking at me as if I've gone nuts, but what else is new?

I LOVE the idea, it looks so plausible, a latter day Thruxton Jackaroo even. Now, where's that Chippie kit.....?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

philp

Pretty sure you'll need a bigger engine for that.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

PR19_Kit

Awesome! :)

If the RAF had them they could have trained three pupils at once, miles better than the awful Prentice!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit