"a double-headed eagle with a hammer in one claw and a sickle in the other"...

Started by jcf, March 18, 2009, 12:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Russian graphic designer Yevgeny Dobrovinsky's slightly facetious suggestion of the perfect symbol for today's Russia and a comment on the mix of Communist-era styles and Tsarist emblems common in post-fall Russian graphic design.

So taking that image, and current events, as a starting point where can it be pushed?

Jon

Just call me Ray

It sounds like Jerry Pournelle already beat you to the punch 40 years ago with his "CoDominion" series.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

jcf

Quote from: Just call me Ray on March 18, 2009, 12:47:36 PM
It sounds like Jerry Pournelle already beat you to the punch 40 years ago with his "CoDominion" series.

Oh woe is me.

Actually I have read some of Pournelle's Co-Dominium stuff over the years, and Ken McLeod's (far superior writing and stories) "Fall Revolution"
series.

Anyhow Pournelle's Co-Dominium posits a world controlled by allied US and USSR, a big difference from what I'm thinking about.
There is no reason to believe that the modern Russia and the US will ever become allies, why would they?

I am simply musing about the designer's comment and how it could be physically reflected in modern Russia.
A Neo-Tsarist Empire with a Communist core? vice versa? Or one could cynically observe that Putin's Russia is both
and no whiffery is required.

Jon