O

Spanish Civil War GB?

Started by Overkiller, March 21, 2009, 04:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overkiller

GTX

Sounds good - maybe some tanks etc too?  A Spanish Gladiator sounds nice too.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Maverick

I've done a bunch of aircraft profiles from an extended SCW.  They're currently in my Gallery.

Regards,

Mav

nev

Not sure about the no jets rule - that would mean no Me262s or He162s, and I'm sure I've seen some cool SCW profiles of them....
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Brian da Basher

I really like the idea of this GB as Spanish Civil War aircraft are so diverse which means almost anything built on that theme is incredibly convincing. I definitely want to join in the fun on this one!

If we can get ten or so interested members, we can ask Commisar Anthony to add it to the next poll or maybe even request it as a quick one month GB.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Weaver

Interesting - Several things I've acquired/schemed could be relevent:

Fokker D.XXI and/or D.XXIII in Republican markings,

Captured I-16 refitted with a BMW VI by the Nationalists (engine from a Revellobox He-70). I'd originally intended this as a post-war mod but the back story could be adapted.

I.153 on either side with a different engine.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

JayBee

Por favor, pretty por favor.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

How about a very early Wellington, the one with no turrets, just a greenhouse fore and aft, done in Republican markings? I seem to remember someone did those turrets as a vacform some years ago, but darned if I can find mention of it now. It might not be that difficult to mould them from acetate sheet though.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 18, 2009, 06:40:00 AM
How about a very early Wellington, the one with no turrets, just a greenhouse fore and aft, done in Republican markings? I seem to remember someone did those turrets as a vacform some years ago, but darned if I can find mention of it now. It might not be that difficult to mould them from acetate sheet though.

Interesting:  :thumbsup:

As an alternative, didn't Frog do a Whitley?

OR

How about a Mk.I Blenheim?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Weaver,

Yes to both of those, but the Frog Whitley was a later Merlin engined Mk IV. At the time of the civil war they'd have most likely flown the earlier Tiger engined Mk Is. Not sure if anyone did a conversion for that, the Tigers were VERY small for an aircraft of that size.

The MkI Blenheim would work a treat and they are readily available in Frog and Novo forms. I even have a couple myself.

I couldn't find that turret conversion on Hannants site  but they have TONS of stuff for Wellingtons, including some stupidly expensive Wellington kits. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 18, 2009, 11:19:28 AM
Weaver,

Yes to both of those, but the Frog Whitley was a later Merlin engined Mk IV. At the time of the civil war they'd have most likely flown the earlier Tiger engined Mk Is. Not sure if anyone did a conversion for that, the Tigers were VERY small for an aircraft of that size.

Well one of the scenarios being suggested is the Civil War going on longer, so perhaps they'd get as far as the Merlin versions?

OR

You could concoct an "export" version with some other engine: Hispano Suiza Y-12s? Push-pull Kestrel or Mercury pairs? (I know the Mercuries would have cooling problems, but it's not like it was never tried....)

OR

The Tiger was a 14-cyl radial: could you nick some long radial cowlings off something else (the Revelbox He-70 has an alternative Gnome-Rhone cowling in it)?

OR

Add a third engine on the nose.......

- Indiana Jones

ChernayaAkula

Cool GB idea! :thumbsup:

Zactoman did some beautiful profiles for Spanish Viggens HERE, including one that is most unexpected.

:wub:

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on April 18, 2009, 12:34:16 PM
The Tiger was a 14-cyl radial: could you nick some long radial cowlings off something else (the Revelbox He-70 has an alternative Gnome-Rhone cowling in it)?

Hm, that got me looking in The Loft and I found a Matchbox Wellesley. Not only would the aircraft itself fit the time frame to a T, but it has a long chord cowling included for the long range version.

So two Wellesleys to supply the Whitley MkI engines and you could use the aircraft in the scenario as well?

Tophe would join them together, with the crew in only one half. I like that idea...........  ;D

Regards
Kit

Jostein

A modification of Robert's PZL P.50A Jastrząb:

No pasaran!