You ever give up on a model ?

Started by Captain Canada, March 21, 2009, 09:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Well, I just did ! Mind you, they were just Dragon 144th scale Harriers. But I do love Harriers, so it was a tough call.

The kit ( a 2 pack ) is a POS. The decals look great, and it has some cool weapons, but the kit is poo-poo (with an english accent). The wing fit and diehedral is all wrong. The canopy looks goofy, and after building a pair of Revell Harriers, I guess I was spoiled.

Anyway, I'm going to add all the weapons and bits to the 144th scale spares box, and the fuselage as well, I guess.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PanzerWulff

yea a Hobbycraft canada 1/72 F-82 twin mustang it was total Garbage I gave it to my 7YO Nephew as a toy,
not even :bow: EDDIE MILLER :bow: could save that thing from being a total TURD :blink: :blink:
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

Daryl J.

Hobbycraft F-89 series.   Couldn't get the rear seat to fit for the time of day.

Daryl J.

Runway ? ...

Too many to remember  <_<  I either bin them (very rare) or go with the flow and end up with something that might have been but wasn't.  ;)

B777LR

I NEVER EVER EVER!!! give up a model!

The closest i came was a Hobbycrap F/A-18B. I put it on hold for 3 years, before finnishing it off. Lots of PSR in that kit.

If anybody would like to get rid of their models, i will gladly take 'em :thumbsup:

dragon

"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

NARSES2

Yes - including a relatively expensive resin kit that I absolutely mad a pigs ear of and decided to give the poor thing a swift merciful end  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

puddingwrestler

I give up on things all the time. Mostly they get recyclyed into the spare parts cupboard and turn into kitbash fodder however, so little is ever wasted.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Mossie

An Airfix 1/72 Tunnan, not a fault of the kit to be fair.  The nose piece needed some major PSR, but apart from that it gave me no problems.  It was lack of skill plus a few completely unxepected twists.  The canopy kept falling off.  I tried airbrusing it which turned I need more equipment & much more practice.  When I tried to strip the paint it reacted funny leaving a mess.  I got all that sorted, then tried to fill a gap with some new superglue I bought, disaster.  The stuff sets so hard it's barely sandable.  So that killed it, unfortunately.

Italeri 1/72 Predator, a single piece missing from the kit. :banghead:

Trumpeter 1/72 Chinook & Italeri 1/72 Super Puma, both had very similar problems.  Fit wasn't great on either, worst being the canopy glazing.  I always seem to have problems with these kind of helicopter kits, the glazing is usually large & is a butt join & I usually mess it up.  Picked these up a couple of days thinking about ressurecting them.  Put them back again.  Not given up stictly, but no idea if I'll start them again.

Airfix 1/48 Bf 109, I was turning it into a racer.  Got half way through, didn't quite know what to do with the canopy & I was lost the entusiasm with it.  Again, not entirely given up but it's anyones guess if I pick it up again.

Airfix 1/72 A-10A.  Not a great kit, but ruined it when poly splurted out the end of the tube into a recess.  Several days later, it softened the plastic so much it started to bend.  Ditiched it, but it sacrificed it's fuselage to another project which is currently in the long term 'pending' pile.

Airfix 1/72 Harrier.  Got half way throught it, decided to bash it into something else.  Made a major pigs ear of cutting the fuselage, gone into the spares box.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Green Dragon

Only one I totally gave up on is the 1/48th Mini Hobby Models Sukhoi Su35/37 due to very warped parts and atrocious fit. Might be ressurected as a scalorama drop ship or big bomber.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

ChernayaAkula

There are many unfinished models, but only one I ever really gave up upon. An RoG F-104G in 1/72, that couldn't pull up in time and crashed into the wall.  :rolleyes: Had it almost done, but then tried to apply the luminescent orange colour. That totally wrecked the tip tanks and wings.  :banghead: I was impatient and tried to get more paint on it to get a decent opacity, further screwing things up. At that point, the little Starfighter had a very short maiden flight. Without a pilot, I think it really couldn't do anything but crash. :lol:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

The Rat

"Never give up, never surrender!"

- Captain Jason Nesmith
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Gary

Constantly. I get bored or *&$#@% off because I don't get a result I was hoping for. Often I am simply overwhelmed by life or I mistakenly measure myself against some fantastic build of the same kit. Most often, it has to do with exterior finish. I have been dorking around for a century with various airbrushes and types of paint and have yet to settle on a combination I feel works for me. Consequently, I get the paint on, am dissatisfied, leave the dangly bits in the box and bin the works.

A few years back I was really happy with a Gripen and posted on a site only to have it shredded and that left a huge impression on me. I don't compete anymore.
Getting back into modeling

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

cthulhu77

Completely? Nope. But, there is a 1/48th scale Babylon Five fighter that did a fast pitch into the wall a few years ago, that is now a bagged kit.