You ever give up on a model ?

Started by Captain Canada, March 21, 2009, 09:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafael

Well,......If leaving a project sitting on the farthest corner of the bench for more than a year counts, I have accumulated four undefined/unfinished models. I want to finish them before I start something new. Life gets in the way frequently, also. An the lack of suitable materials here is not helping. And I have a very good stash, of more than 100 models.

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Ed S

I had an Airfix OV-10A that I started years ago.  The wings warped after I got them glued together.  The canopy wouldn't fit worth a damn.  It sat on the shelf for years.  I finally cut it up and am using parts on my "Beating the Air into Submission" GB entry.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rafael on March 22, 2009, 08:09:17 AM
Well,......If leaving a project sitting on the farthest corner of the bench for more than a year counts

By Rafa's definition I must have thirty of the darn things!  :o

Because work effectively stopped me modelling for almost 10 years I have a large box, maybe 3' x 3' x 1.5', that's full of unfinished projects, mostly RWs as I tend to give my spoofs priority. (Only right and proper of course....)

The 'temporarily abandoned' list includes an Airmodel P6M-2 Seamaster, a Monogram F-15 'Streak Eagle', an Italeri EB-66C, a Fujimi IDF F-4E(S) with the HIAC nose, a USAF F-4D with the under-fuse HIAC pod, a Hasegawa EB-47H 'Silver King' Stratojet, goodness knows how many DC9s, 727s and VC-10s all in 1/144, and the list goes on, and on, and on.....

At least I'm getting a chance to re-start some now I've retired, but it's always a case of 'which one first?'
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

In the words of the immortal Rat, I'm going to rescind my quit and finish those damn things.....but I'm going to do it in a way that I don't actually have to 'finish' them....I'm going to have them covered by a tarp !

:banghead:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dork the kit slayer

I have a big box of scrapped projects,far too many to count. Sometimes your skills dont match up to your expectations.

A point to ponder though, there are a couple that would be considered "good" builds or paint jobs by some of our members, it must be the same with a lot of other people.
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

jorel62

noxioux

I have a 1/144 minicraft B-17 that I've given up on about 3 separate times now.  I wan't to finish it, but the kit is so awful that it only takes a few minutes of holding it in my hand before I get the urge to chuck it at a wall.

I also all but gave up on my twin-engine F-106 some of  you may remember from a few years back.  It was a cool idea, but it just kicked my butt.

Like Sun Tsu said, never fight a battle you cannot win.  Wait around a bit, and catch 'em on your terms. . .

B777LR

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 22, 2009, 08:21:41 AM
At least I'm getting a chance to re-start some now I've retired, but it's always a case of 'which one first?'

The airliners :thumbsup:

anthonyp

Give up on a model?  No.  Get angry at it and just finish it?  Oh, hell yeah!

Usually, though, I get distracted by something shiny or a new kit and let the one I was working on sit there.  Case in point are my two oldest non-finished kits that only need decals (that I need to make), my MCAS Grosse Ile AV-8B+ and CH-60H Beachhawk.   Been sitting incomplete for four years now...
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Jeffry Fontaine

This could turn into a support group...

I regret giving up on any model and over the years there have been many.  Some due to the quality of the kit, some due to my own inexperience at the time, and some due to a short temper brought about by frustration.  The remains of these projects have been salvaged and some went on to reside in another modeler's spare parts box or in my own pending re-acquaintance with my muse to get the inspiration I so dearly need to finish the project. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Daryl J.

QuoteThis could turn into a support group...

I regret giving up on any model and over the years there have been many.  Some due to the quality of the kit, some due to my own inexperience at the time, and some due to a short temper brought about by frustration.  The remains of these projects have been salvaged and some went on to reside in another modeler's spare parts box or in my own pending re-acquaintance with my muse to get the inspiration I so dearly need to finish the project.

LoL.   

My latest 'temporarily given up' project is the Tribute to Terry Moore's Love for Raspberry Ripple  Washington ERB.V created out of an Academy B-29/B-50 converted to a turboprop twin with winglets, some electronic warfare bulges here and there, and tripling up on the pun on the word 'Washington'.   Terry lives in that state, the B-50 is from that state, and the Brits called the B-29 the Washington so.......perhaps in 2010 it'll appear at the Seattle show.

Daryl J., in the "I have given up'' confessional booth yet again

pyro-manic

Yup. Jacked in my "Sovietise It!" build last week. Was trying to make an F-18 into something like a Foxbat. Got started on the new rear fuselage, and just wasn't feeling it at all. The bits are going back in the box, and will probably be parted out for other models at some point.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Shasper

Back when we had the Soviet Naval GB I tried building a naval trainer be crossing a MiG-19 with a L-29 . . . ended up mailing to Ollie cuz I got fed up with it.

Shas b)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Captain Canada

Sounds like we're all pretty much the same : Put it away for awhile and then try again before we actually give up for good !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dork the kit slayer

"Daryl J., in the "I have given up'' confessional booth yet again"   :drink:LOL

My penance???....I went and finished off (after a fashion) two kits that were destined for the spares box. :thumbsup:
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/