Oldest Surviving Model

Started by tigercat2, March 26, 2009, 07:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard of Effingham

hmm, my oldest WIF is a  :tornado: ADV with F-404 engines and a few other mods.

it was in RAF desert pink for many years and when rebuilt about 2006, went into kuwaiti AF markings.

btw, tigercat2. i spy two dornier do335's in your photo. the second is in dark grey and green and
whose national markings? i like it!  :thumbsup:
Keeper of George the Cat.

tigercat2

Actually there are three DO-335s in that photo; the blue one is in German markings, the light grey is in Post War USMC Markings, and the one you referred to is in some other country; don't recall which one, used decals from "Roundels of the World" by Zotz decals, and just thought the roundels (yellow, blue, white and red) looked good.  I think it was from a small African country.

I really like the DO-335, especially the Lindberg one.  Five minutes to put it together, and then you can start painting.

Wes W.

nev

Great idea for a thread - I shall be back with pics later!
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

nev

As promised, the oldest model in my collection, built back in 1997 when I was getting back the hobby whilst living Oz - I was "between jobs" and my flatmate had a load models and stuff which he let me get stuck into during the day. 

This is the Hasegawa 1/72 F-14, and it looks pretty poor.  My old mantra of "A fuzzy digicam pic hides many a modelling sin" truly applies to this model ;)

My oldest whiff dates from 2001 I believe, when I first joined this forum on the old, old website and they were running the Britorama GB.  Not many folks still hanging around from the dozen or so regulars back then - Supertom, JeffryFontaine, Lancer and the late lamented Wooksta.

I'm actually pretty happy with this model, and it remains one of my favourite whiffs.

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

tigercat2

Your F-14 is certainly nothing to be ashamed of, and the F-15 is fantastic.  With the advent of the F-15 SE (semi-stealthy new version with canted vertical stabs), I can see many, many schemes for this bird.

Wes W.

GTX

I have a West German OH-6 Loach somewhere.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mike Wren

this is my very first model, an Airfix A-4 Skyhawk... built with considerable help from my dad when I was about 5 years old, it's so far survived nearly 25 years and sits in my display cabinet. Has only needed a missing undercarriage leg replacing.

Note my early experimentation with What If markings with the fuselage star & bar...

PanzerWulff

An old ERTL Uss Excelcior that I modified by removing the trunk between the lower hull and the saucer to make it look a bit sleeker
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

tigercat2

Quote from: Mike Wren on March 29, 2009, 10:03:19 AM
this is my very first model, an Airfix A-4 Skyhawk... built with considerable help from my dad when I was about 5 years old, it's so far survived nearly 25 years and sits in my display cabinet. Has only needed a missing undercarriage leg replacing.

Note my early experimentation with What If markings with the fuselage star & bar...

For a model done by a five year old, that is extrodinary!!

Wes W.

Mike Wren

Quote from: tigercat2 on March 29, 2009, 05:57:27 PM
For a model done by a five year old, that is extrodinary!!

Wes W.

I think my dad helped a lot!  :wub:

PR19_Kit

My eldest daughter, then aged 5 or 6, 'built' an Airfix Spitfire IX, the Johnny Johnson one, in 1972 or so, with a little help from me. She painted it in camo green, flourescent pink (!) and dark blue.

All this would have been mind boggling enough if she hadn't put the wings on upside down and swapped them left to right, thus the wheels were up alongside the cockpit! On being challenged about this, her explanation was 'Don't be silly, how would the pilot know if they were up or down unless he could look out and see them?' delivered with the most scornfull of looks.

Faced with such logic I took her with me to the next IPMS Birmingham meeting, where she duly won the 'Best Junior' class with it. It may have been something to do with the Spitfire being the ONLY entrant, but so what?  :lol:

She still has it stashed somewhere, I'll see if I can take a piccie next time I'm over there.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

tigercat2

A great story, and a model that I would very much like to see.  Impeccable logic as well about the landing gear!!

Wes W.

nev

lancer

My oldest kit is the matchbox boxing of the  PM TA154 night fighter that I built about 10 years or so ago when I got back in to the hobby. It was also the first one I used my - at the time- brand new airbrush on. I remember the wings had a massive lip where they fitted to the fuselage and it took me ages to sand it down. I also remember making a real pigs ear of the radar antennas
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

lenny100

her is mine
a chanlanger 1that i built during my down time between operationsthe gulf war one
its mostly held together with white glue so it is now starting to fall to bits but thats the way it will go as its a reminder to me and my family of that time of mylife and is on display in pride of place in my liveing room dispite its condition.

Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!