freightdog/Maintrack P1154RN hybrid

Started by General Melchet, March 26, 2009, 01:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General Melchet

Thanks fellas , all weaponry was gleaned from BSP  Hypersonics, missiles & ramjets. book, there was a fair selection  of missiles to choose from, including Tychon, Blue Dolphin , Red Top, radar Red Top, Martel, CF.299, etc, ( plenty of scope for other projects ). Greg you're right it would have needed either a special ladder,( similar to the Lightnings) or for the missiles to have been fitted after the pilot was strapped in !!

Thanks all,

Andy
Clearly, Field Marshal Haig is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to Berlin.

Sisko

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Vulcan7

Fantastic looking Super-Harrier GM ....quality  :ph34r: :tornado: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

noxioux

You are giving me a serious Super-Harrier jones, man.

Awesome :thumbsup:

van883

Lovely build-how do you find all the time to do such good modelling?

Van

Mike Wren

Rafael

General, is it me, or does this version not have the fuselage mains bogie?

I've googled around an found a similar, bogie-less version at modelstories, while every other picture shows the little wingtip wheels and bogies, and this one also has a more bulbous mid-span fairing for the wheels.

Somehow, I like this one way better.

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Brian da Basher

Well done, General! It grace's What-If's front page very nicely!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

cthulhu77

beautiful work there, definitely front page material !  You are right, it is a bummer that project never saw completion.

kitnut617

Quote from: Rafael on March 28, 2009, 06:33:54 AM
General, is it me, or does this version not have the fuselage mains bogie?

I've googled around an found a similar, bogie-less version at modelstories, while every other picture shows the little wingtip wheels and bogies, and this one also has a more bulbous mid-span fairing for the wheels.

Somehow, I like this one way better.

Rafa

Rafa, do a google search for P.1154RN (not in images), you'll see quite a few entries which explain why the RN went with the u/c configuration on this version, which is my favorite too  :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

General Melchet

Thanks all of you :thumbsup: !, sorry haven't replied earlier but I'm on nights at the mo and getting up just to go to work at night ain't a lot of fun !! :banghead:
Van,... I'm lucky my work allows me a lot of time off and I tend to have several projects on the go at once, allowing me to zip from one to another.

Rafa this version didn't have the central main gear as it wasn't deemed suitable for normal cat launches, (pre use of the 'ski jump' ), VTOL take offs weren't an option as the PCB system would have caused massive damage to the flight deck, (God knows what would have happened to the wooden US carrier decks :o !!)..The upshot was that larger strengthened maingear was to be fitted in pods mid span along with a strengthened nose gear able to withstand cat launches. BTW this version also had a tail hook for normal arrestor landings.
Hope this clears it up a bit !
Thanks again,

Andy :cheers:
Clearly, Field Marshal Haig is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to Berlin.

MartG

Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

Rafael

General, sir, that sums it up in a nutshell......which makes me like this bird a lot more!!!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

General Melchet

Cheers chaps , Rafa glad that helps, I've updated the model a bit, nothing major, just a general tidy up before Cossy ! I'll post a few pics tomorrow.

Carry on men .. :thumbsup:

sandiego89

General, great build, I like it very much.  Big V/STOL fan here, tempted to build that kit.

3 questions if i may.

What color did you use for the main fuselage?

Does the kit include the second seat/canopy if you want to do the two seater?

Centerline tank.  It always seemed centerline fuel tanks on the Harrier/Sea Harrier family were a non-starter.  First there was no plumbing for lines, second clearance was an issue, and third I believe a centerline tank would reduce the "lift", or upset the airflow on the exhaust plume defelcting back to the belly of the aircarft in a hover.  Doubt they would wnat to jettison a tank for every flight, maybe in wartime.  Do you know if there would have been provisions for centerline fuel tanks on the 1154, or is this artistic licence?  Please not a criticism at all- a fantastic bulid and subject- just a question. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA