Main Menu

X-15C

Started by MartG, March 28, 2009, 10:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orne M

Like minds.....

Contrail XB-70 AV-2 with Monogram X-15 Delta; never got around to adding boosters.

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Orne,

The very fact that you completed a Contrail XB-70 makes you worthy of our fullest admiration!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Orne M

I'm never one to dismiss admiration.  Tell the truth, the Contrail kit isn't the terror written up in places (the only thing that was problematic was the idea to use pressurized urethane foam to fill the upper fuselage - that stuff is almost impossible to clean up after it starts pouring out of the nozzle).  Wish I had known how to make molds at the time, would've built up a J-93 nozzle master and cast a set instead of using the VF parts.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Orne M on March 31, 2009, 02:27:14 AM
Tell the truth, the Contrail kit isn't the terror written up in places.

You could have fooled me!  :lol: ;D

I've had one for years, and I've had a look at it maybe 5-6 times since then. The vacs are so thin in place I can see through them! The vertical draw for the engine pod is so deep that they ran out of plastic doing mine and in a few places it's short moulded.

Luckily I have an AMT XB-70 now, so I may have to Whiff the Contrail one sometime.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Joe C-P

That works, very well!
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Orne M

A couple techniques that might be helpful with the Contrail kit or any VF kit (mind you I manufacture some VF heavy kits so twenty years experience I'm drawing from):

Spacer bulkheads - 1/4 thick balsa plugs work great, easy to shape - for fuselage parts, strip styrene between those, and 'tabs' glued inside the edges to reinforce the seams; a thin film of resin poured inside fuselage cavities before assembly; sheet plastic glued inside wing-halves (even those thin 'For Sale' signs from the dollar store can hold shapes far better than you would think).

Sorry, trying not to hijack the thread.