Mistels - Real and imagined

Started by sequoiaranger, July 19, 2008, 11:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sequoiaranger

OK, don't look at me like you previously thought I was sane but now suddenly you think otherwise. One look at my models tells a different story.

Well, here is a "whif" idea I just thought up yesterday.

Northrop's "Mistel" consisting of an N9M atop a B-35! We know what the Germans did---they took "obsolescent" bombers, loaded them up with explosives, and put a guiding fighter atop them.  They used the bomber itself as a flying bomb released by the fighter.  Well, fast forward to the early '50's when we had a squadron of B-35's but they were proving too much to handle so the B-47/B-58/B-52's took over. Rather than let them rot as unwanted surplus, Northrop made "special" bombers out of them. Maybe the Israelis bought them for use in the Suez Crisis of 1956.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

philp

After last years turnout figured I would replace the Raspberry Ripple category with something else.

Now I have seen at least 3 builds this year regarding aircraft with launch vehicles under them ala Mistel.

So, maybe the best Over/Under  ;D
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

PR19_Kit

Quote from: philp on March 28, 2009, 03:06:00 PM

Does that mean that all EE Lightnings are OK?  -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Daryl J.

tigercat2

Agree with this category, especially the Mistels.  I saw somewhere recently a thread about insane Mistels concepts that were proposed, apparenly some were serious, for the USAF.  It was, I believe, something like an F-100/B-47 for the Vietnam War.

Some other ideas for various wars the US has been involved in:

P-51 or P-47/B-17 WWII
F-82/B-29 for Korea
F-89 or F-94/B-36 for mid 50s to late 60s
the aforementioned F-100/B-47
F-105B/B-52B or C for Vietnam

What a display these would make in 1/72!!

Wes W.

philp

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 28, 2009, 03:18:21 PM
Quote from: philp on March 28, 2009, 03:06:00 PM

Does that mean that all EE Lightnings are OK?  -_-

If the Lightning is over a Vulcan, then yes :wacko:
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

philp

Think we are up to four now.  Let's see.

X-15C

British Spaceplane

and the unmanned version

Stinger

and the Bat-Jet

Hmmm, I was wrong, that makes 5 and enough for a category.  Wonder how many more we will see in the next 9 months.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: philp on March 28, 2009, 08:16:51 PM
<...> Wonder how many more we will see in the next 9 months.

I've got one planned as well. Whether I'll get round to it this year is another matter, though. It will involve a 1/72 Airfix D.H. Vampire and a 1/72 MPM Gloster Meteor. The idea was sparked by a  GTX profile, I think - yet again. :lol:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

GTX

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on March 28, 2009, 10:35:23 PM

I've got one planned as well. Whether I'll get round to it this year is another matter, though. It will involve a 1/72 Airfix D.H. Vampire and a 1/72 MPM Gloster Meteor. The idea was sparked by a  GTX profile, I think - yet again. :lol:

Why do I get blamed a lot?  I didn't do anything...

Oh, that's right.  Never mind.

Regards,

Greg

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

JayBee

Quote from: GTX on March 28, 2009, 11:47:11 PM
Quote from: ChernayaAkula on March 28, 2009, 10:35:23 PM

Why do I get blamed a lot?  I didn't do anything...

Oh, that's right.  Never mind.

Regards,

Greg

Oh yes you did!, and frequently at that, thank goodness.
:cheers:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

tigercat2

How about an older model B-47 (that was going to be scrapped anyway in the late 60s) configured as either a Mistel (with an F-100F on top) or as a complete drone bird, loaded up with a lot of TNT and flown into hardened targets in NVN?  It would be in the SEA scheme.

Wes W.

sideshowbob9

Quote from: tigercat2 on March 30, 2009, 01:29:00 PM
How about an older model B-47 (that was going to be scrapped anyway in the late 60s) configured as either a Mistel (with an F-100F on top) or as a complete drone bird, loaded up with a lot of TNT and flown into hardened targets in NVN?  It would be in the SEA scheme.

^ Funny you should mention that! I have a Revell 1/113(?) B-47 in SEA colours that I did a few years ago that's in for a similar treatment (painted before I got the airbrush so it's on the re-do list anyway).

It will have a F-104 (Tamiya 1/100 was the closest I could get) on the top and as an added twist it will be converted to become a B-47D turboprop variant to create the RF-104C/QB-47D "Have Cake" Mistel combo.

(Yes it's a bad pun but I quite like it!)

Another Revell B-47 I have is in a weathered NMF over orange testbed scheme with a honking big radar nose & TV/IR sensor cheek fairings

PR19_Kit

How about a Mistel Wimpy, with a Spitfire or Hurricane on top?

Vickers did their own Whiffing on it as well, making the up-sized Warwick, but for some reason that seemed to be nowhere near as successful as the Wimpy.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

tigercat2

Someone earlier suggested a ZELL B-58.  For something really insane, how about a ZELL/Mistel, with a B-58 on the bottom and an F-104 on top.  Now, that would be something to see; 5 J-79s at full burner plus a big, big booster or two.  That should wake up the neighborhood!!!

Wes

Doc Yo

Quote from: tigercat2 on June 19, 2009, 08:46:31 AM
Someone earlier suggested a ZELL B-58.  For something really insane, how about a ZELL/Mistel, with a B-58 on the bottom and an F-104 on top.  Now, that would be something to see; 5 J-79s at full burner plus a big, big booster or two.  That should wake up the neighborhood!!!

Wes

Do you have a license for that mind-reading device, sir? ;D  I have an Academy Hustler slowly undergoing
conversion to a Zel-launched, concrete revetment-housed, lifting-body launching...something or other.