Mistels - Real and imagined

Started by sequoiaranger, July 19, 2008, 11:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerrillc

I was perusing the 2009 Airfix 2009 catalogue and I saw the Mistel combination of a 190 and TA 154 combination.  I was really surprised, but the description was the real surprise.

The blurb described the Mistel as combination of a fighter and a war weary bomber, but the 154!!! That surely never got into its stride. I-ll ask at Secret Projects and the Airwarfare forums.

Has any one any information to the contrary OR is it just an advertising clanger?
If I am targetted by JMNs, I'm in good Company.

No, no, no! You do not die for your country, you make the other one die!

B777LR

I suppose, had the war lasted on, that enough Ta-154s would have become war weary to become Mistels. Not worth getting the kit though. It's the reboxed PM kit of the Ta-154, coupled with the Airfix Fw-190. The Ta-154 is horrible.

Doc Yo

I've seen it described as a 'Pulk-Zerstorer' or 'formation destroyer' in Green's Warplanes of the Third Reich.
It was a plan to use the handful of airframes that were actually finished as a crude air-to-air missile. ( I may
actually be thinking of another project, though-I also remember something about a simple open cockpit near
the tail, which is not something you'd need on a Mistel. )

In any case, its unlikely the combination flew any further than the drawing board.

McGreig

It was a real project and may have actually been built. You can find details on pages 182 - 186 of Robert Forsyth's "Mistel" from Classic Publications where he says that:
"some sources maintain that six Mistel combinations were actually completed for use against allied bomber formations, whereby an explosive laden Ta-154 would be flown into a group of bombers where it would be detonated by the pilot of the separated Fw-190 controlling aircraft. These aircraft were apparently test flown at Eschwege but no further details are known".

However, the explosive carrying Ta-154 would have had a warhead as shown in the picture below (from Forsyth's book) and wouldn't have flown into action unmodified as shown on the Airfix box top.
:cheers:

Kerrillc

Hi McGrieg

Thanks for the info. I suspected that the kit artwork was suspect. I have seen mistel combinations with the warhead mostly Junkers 88/188 family members.

Cheers

Kerrill
If I am targetted by JMNs, I'm in good Company.

No, no, no! You do not die for your country, you make the other one die!

cthulhu77

That 154 kit is a real dog. I spent more hours on that pos than on most good projects.

lancer

Quote from: cthulhu77 on July 31, 2009, 06:38:27 AM
That 154 kit is a real dog. I spent more hours on that pos than on most good projects.

First plane I built when I got back into modelling although it was in a Matchbox package. Yes, it was a pig of a kit but LOTS of sanding got it looking reasonable and I was quite pleased with the way it turned out - Yes it was a Looooooong time ago.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Fulcrum

I know it was an odd concept, but I had a idea on a modernized-concept Soviet Mistel.  A Mig-21/Mig-29 on top of a Tu-16/Tu-95? is that possible? :o
Other combos include a F-15/B-52 Mistel with a nuclear warhead in the B-52's nose.
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

Sauragnmon

Heh that's a pretty wicked idea - it makes me think of a MiG-21 actually recessed into the bay of a 16/95, to reduce drag while slaved to the package, releases, dives, lights the engine, peels off from the package for delivery.  I think the 16's got enough payload capacity to do it - I'd do that kind of combination up in PLANAF markings though, a Badger Mistel - pretty damn slick I think...
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Cobra

Think a Skyray linked to an A-6 would work for a Mistel?????? just something i wondered about!!!

TsrJoe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

B777LR

Bf-109/Fw-190 + He-111 (He-111s would be nice with a bullet shaped warhead)
P-51 + B-17
P-47 + B-24
Spitfire + Lancaster
Hellcat + B-25 (think aircraft carrier capable anti-battleship bomb)
F-4 + retired B-47. The B-47 is dropped a good distance from Soviet airspace, and flies the remainder of the way on its own. The F-4 is fitted with 3 tanks, and 6 missiles to fight its way back.

Weaver

Miscellaneous Mistels:

1. Over on the Anson thread I started, someone suggested making a Mistel with a Gladiator on top of an Anson full of napalm and calling it the Avro Arson...... ;D

2. How about a Meteor/Canberra combination? The B(I).8 is a natural to have it's canopy faired over.... :wacko:

3. Fairey 221 on top of a Concorde - boy would that hit hard..... :o

4. I appreciate that kits would be a problem, but how about a Swift on top of a wing-fatigued Valiant?

5. World's smallest Mistel: Bede BD-5 on top of a Gnat.... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sequoiaranger

Or maybe a Gladiator over a DeHavilland Dominie (Dragon Rapide biplane transport) for a "quadraplane" mistel!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

B777LR

Quote from: Weaver on August 25, 2009, 08:08:57 AM
5. World's smallest Mistel: Bede BD-5 on top of a Gnat.... ;D

How about the BD-5J on top of an A380? Or an A380 carrying a lot of BD-5 missiles?